AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not in the market for anything but just have a question I have pondered for years and years.

Does it matter what type of speakers you use for rear surround and side surrounds? I know they make "surround" speakers, but are they different and made to output different sounds than "normal" speakers?

OR are all speakers pretty much able to be used?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson /forum/post/18177529

Im not in the market for anything but just have a question I have pondered for years and years.

Does it matter what type of speakers you use for rear surround and side surrounds? I know they make "surround" speakers, but are they different and made to output different sounds than "normal" speakers?

OR are all speakers pretty much able to be used?

Usually when you see a speaker labeled as a "surround" speaker it means that it is either a di-pole or a bi-pole speaker. A di-pole has 2 sets of drivers out of phase to each other while a bi-pole's 2 driver sets would be in phase. More often than not with these types of speakers there is only one low frequency driver.

Multi-pole speakers are said to create a "diffused" surround field and more closely mimic a movie theater's multiple rows of speakers. The sound is supposed to sound like it is coming from everywhere.

Some people prefer multi-pole speakers, others prefer conventional speakers like bookshelf type speakers. I use conventional speakers because I think they are more suited to discrete surround where you want precise localization of the sound effects. Prior to discrete surround, like with Pro Logic, multi-pole speakers made sense, IMHO. Others feel differently so you will have to try out both types.

So, to answer your question, no, it does not matter what type you use. It just depends on what you want.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts