AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2,226 Posts
I haven't heard either, but I do own Energy RC-10's and RC-LCR.


The RC series is very nice - they have good detail, but a smooth sound that never gets harsh. Some say neutral, laid-back, or even slightly warm.


From what I've read of Aperions, they seem to get referred to as neutral or slightly forward of neutral.


The RC-70 can be had for a little less than the 5T, which would probably be a bit outclassed. The RC-70 is a 3-way with a dedicated 5.5" midrange, and is about 5dB more sensitive than the 5T.


The 6T should be more in line with the performance level of the RC-70, but it will cost you a few hundred more.


All 3 of these have received very good reviews, and your best best is to listen to both if possible. Shipping on any of them to you is free, and return shipping on the Aperion is free.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16851319


Make sure you are able to pull the speakers a few feet out from the walls before considering something like the RC70.

Good point. Rear porting is a factor with the RC-70, although the supplied port plugs can help with this issue if you don't have alot of rear clearance. This will of course affect low end response, but if you have a sub it shouldn't really matter.


Keep in mind though that even though the Aperion are front ported, you still don't want them right back against a wall.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,779 Posts
Not familiar with the Aperion sound. So I won't comment on those one way or another.


The Energy RC70 which I own (along with the LCR, RC-10's, Energy Veritas 2.2i's, Ascend 340's and 170's, Totem Hawk, yeah - I'm a speaker slut) have a very nice three dimensional sound. They are on the warm side but they do not sound congested or boxy like most warm speakers sound. They don't present the sound in a holographic way like the Hawks do, but they do have a better sound field depth.


I also consider the RC70 a very neutral speaker, less colored than most that have a laid back sound that I've heard. I use the RC's (the 70's, LCR and the RC-10's) in my h/t room for movies and multi-channel music listening and they do very well. Too well sometimes, as time can fly by listening to these. I find with more forward speakers, you'd rather be doing something, keeping busy, as just sitting down and listening tends to make you want to turn it off after not to long a session. Needless to say, my wife prefers more forward speakers (for me) so I'd get off my ass and do somethng LOL.


However, speakers are a personal choice. If you're set on one or the other then I'd get both and send back the one you don't like, or sell the one you don't like on the 'gon. However, if you're only choosing them because of the budget and you can't listen to them in your area, I'd audition all the speakers you could in your area first in your budget, maybe you'll find a 3rd speaker that you can actually hear for yourself that you'll like. Then there's no guess work.


Too many people around here read too many posts about 'this speaker' or 'that speaker' and decide that's what they want to get. Nothing can subsitute your own ears and your own tastes. And there's no such thing as a better speaker btw - only one that YOU prefer
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
2,362 Posts
I have 3 6Ts for front setup.....excellent for music and HT. 90% of the time when listening to 2 channel I will give my PB13 Ultra a rest and let the 6Ts run as Large, sounds like the performers are in my listening area.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch /forum/post/16851731


Not familiar with the Aperion sound. So I won't comment on those one way or another.


The Energy RC70 which I own (along with the LCR, RC-10's, Energy Veritas 2.2i's, Ascend 340's and 170's, Totem Hawk, yeah - I'm a speaker slut) have a very nice three dimensional sound. They are on the warm side but they do not sound congested or boxy like most warm speakers sound. They don't present the sound in a holographic way like the Hawks do, but they do have a better sound field depth.


I also consider the RC70 a very neutral speaker, less colored than most that have a laid back sound that I've heard. I use the RC's (the 70's, LCR and the RC-10's) in my h/t room for movies and multi-channel music listening and they do very well. Too well sometimes, as time can fly by listening to these. I find with more forward speakers, you'd rather be doing something, keeping busy, as just sitting down and listening tends to make you want to turn it off after not to long a session. Needless to say, my wife prefers more forward speakers (for me) so I'd get off my ass and do somethng LOL.


However, speakers are a personal choice. If you're set on one or the other then I'd get both and send back the one you don't like, or sell the one you don't like on the 'gon. However, if you're only choosing them because of the budget and you can't listen to them in your area, I'd audition all the speakers you could in your area first in your budget, maybe you'll find a 3rd speaker that you can actually hear for yourself that you'll like. Then there's no guess work.


Too many people around here read too many posts about 'this speaker' or 'that speaker' and decide that's what they want to get. Nothing can subsitute your own ears and your own tastes. And there's no such thing as a better speaker btw - only one that YOU prefer

Kpt...


How do the Ascend's stack up to the RC? Particularly the 340SE vs the RC-LCR as a center channel?


BTW, definitely a nice collection you have going. I'd love to hear some of Totem's speakers someday...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoore1025 /forum/post/16850403


15x15 room paired with a Svs Pb-10, 70% movies, 30% music, just wondering which will be better.

Are you going with 3 towers across the front? Or are you planning to buy a pair of towers now and add a center later?


I ask b/c if you are considering adding a center later...you may end up not being able to find an RC-LCR down the road. They've disappeared rather quickly, and Vann's may or may not get more in cherry. At that point, your only option would be used.


Obviously, you don't have to worry about this if you go Aperion.


On the other hand, if you're going 3 towers across the front...my entire post is moot.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
2,362 Posts
Whatever system you decide to get try to match all 3 fronts....I originally had a 6C Center which was no slouch but another 6T made the front stage "seamless" sound is amazing. I went from a wall mount for the Plasma to a ceiling mount to make it work.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoore1025 /forum/post/16852991


Yea I was just looking at these great speakers but i plan on getting a sub also, so the RC-70 low end doesn't really matter

The low end reinforcment starts much higher up in frequency, a speaker like the RC70 will sound chesty and bloated in the mid bass and lower mids. It has to do with baffle step correction.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16853051


The low end reinforcment starts much higher up in frequency, a speaker like the RC70 will sound chesty and bloated in the mid bass and lower mids. It has to do with baffle step correction.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't any speaker with BSC that is placed up toward the wall. In other words, neither the RC-70 or 6T/5T should be placed right up to the back wall


In the case of the RC-70, plugging the port would create premature low frequency rolloff that would somewhat compensate for the overemphasized mid-bass resulting from placement close to the rear wall, correct? Wouldn't this essentially even the playing field with the 6T/5T.


In any case, any of these towers should be placed out from the wall a bit.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii /forum/post/16851750


Kpt...


How do the Ascend's stack up to the RC? Particularly the 340SE vs the RC-LCR as a center channel?


BTW, definitely a nice collection you have going. I'd love to hear some of Totem's speakers someday...

Bump for your thoughts...
 

· Banned
Joined
·
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16851319


Make sure you are able to pull the speakers a few feet out from the walls before considering something like the RC70.

This is the conventional wisdom. However, in my main room quite a few speakers (including the revel F32's I now own) sound very good and image very well only six inches from the front wall. That was unexpected to me because nearly every speaker review and every placement advice article mentions pulling the speakers out from the wall. I guess it's YMMV.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoore1025 /forum/post/16850403


15x15 room paired with a Svs Pb-10, 70% movies, 30% music, just wondering which will be better.

I can't tell you with 100% certainty which speaker is better, but Energy's speaker designs are based on world-class research done in Canada's NRC, which has been studying speaker performance since the '70's, so they've got three decades of experience in their designs. Aperion has nothing even remotely close to this type of R&D.


Here's a quote from this article from the Sensible Sound.


"The design team for the RC-70 was led by John Tchilinguirian, who has been with company for many years. In 1993, he put Energy on the High End map with the $6,000 Veritas 2.8. One can think of the RC-70 as a shrunken 2.8, which was also a four-driver, three-way system; the principal difference being beside the fact it weighed 100 pounds was the use of larger woofers, a 3-inch metal dome midrange instead of the 5-inch cone, and exclusive use of 4th-order LR crossovers with sophisticated impedance compensation.


API is one of the top 5 manufacturers of home audio speakers. API has invested heavily in R&D, including developing one of the worlds largest anechoic chambers dedicated to speaker evaluation. The company has also invested significant human resource in the development of its speakers. They report the development of the Reference Connoisseur Line was four people years. Much of the work centered on correlating the listeners' perceptions of speaker quality to the speakers' measurements. Like any serious company, they conduct these listening tests rigorously under blind conditions."
 

· Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwriter /forum/post/16869891


I can't tell you with 100% certainty which speaker is better, but Energy's speaker designs are based on world-class research done in Canada's NRC, which has been studying speaker performance since the '70's, so they've got three decades of experience in their designs. Aperion has nothing even remotely close to this type of R&D.


Here's a quote from this article from the Sensible Sound.


"The design team for the RC-70 was led by John Tchilinguirian, who has been with company for many years. In 1993, he put Energy on the High End map with the $6,000 Veritas 2.8. One can think of the RC-70 as a shrunken 2.8, which was also a four-driver, three-way system; the principal difference being beside the fact it weighed 100 pounds was the use of larger woofers, a 3-inch metal dome midrange instead of the 5-inch cone, and exclusive use of 4th-order LR crossovers with sophisticated impedance compensation.


API is one of the top 5 manufacturers of home audio speakers. API has invested heavily in R&D, including developing one of the worlds largest anechoic chambers dedicated to speaker evaluation. The company has also invested significant human resource in the development of its speakers. They report the development of the Reference Connoisseur Line was four people years. Much of the work centered on correlating the listeners' perceptions of speaker quality to the speakers' measurements. Like any serious company, they conduct these listening tests rigorously under blind conditions."

Thanks for that response
 

· Banned
Joined
·
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoore1025 /forum/post/16870446


Thanks for that response

No problem. I'd encourage you to get the speakers that you like, but when you said Energy RC 70 I thought it would be helpful for you to know the pedigree of that speaker. I don't have anechoic measurements of the aperions you mentioned, but I do know from listening to an interview of the founder of Aperion that they don't have anything like the technological investment that Energy does, and they don't have John Tchilinguirian as the project lead of a group of engineers, and they don't rely on scientifically administered double-blind testing to prove their designs.
 
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top