AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I've actually been reading this site for a while. I just don't post because I'm usually able to find the answer I'm looking for by searching. I can't seem to find the answer to this though. If I've overlooked it, then I apologize.

I just got a PS3 a few days ago. I have it connected to my Sony LCD via HDMI.

In the Video Settings menu, there is "BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)" and I have selected Linear PCM. My understanding is that this is the setting to use. The PS3 will decode the audio and send it to the TV in lossless LPCM.

In the Sound Settings menu, there is "Audio Output Settings." I select HDMI connection and automatic for the output formats. This selects Dolby Digital 5.1, LPCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz and LPCM 2 Ch. 48 kHz.

Now my question is why does it matter what audio output settings are chosen if everything gets decoded by the PS3 and sent as LPCM? Am I not understanding something completely?

Also my TV has a type of virtual surround sound mode that I like. It's not as good as real surround sound, but it is pretty good. Wouldn't it be best to send the audio out as LPCM with the same number of channels as the source and let the TV's virtual surround sound do it's job? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully answer.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think that in your first instance what you're "setting" is output format for lossless audio (TrueHD, DTS-HD MA). In the second, that would be "analog" (Dobly 5.1, DTS). it sounds as if you've got the correct settings for letting your TV do it's thing with the incoming audio signal.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The TV will in all likelihood not accept 5.1 or 7.1 channel surround sound. (Not too sure how it is able to accept Dolby Digital 5.1, but it may depend on the TV model).

Anyways, what you have done is correct IMO. Selecting HDMI and then selecting Automatic to select the sound formats is the way to go for you. Let the PS3 and the TV decide which formats are compatible for the TV to accept.

The virtual surround sound mode that you are referring to, should work with the TV accepting 2-channel (stereo) sound too.

Also, the setting that you have used for BD/DVD Audio Output format (HDMI) is correct, although I doubt if it will make a difference, since the PS3 will anyways be forced to convert high-end audio codecs (like Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA) to LPCM 2 channel.

Anyone may correct me if I'm wrong. But the settings which you have, at the moment, seem to be appropriate for your setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the way I have it is probably the best way for my setup.

If I have "BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)" set to LPCM and "Audio Output Settings" set to Automatic Dolby Digital 5.1, LPCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz and LPCM 2 Ch. 48 kHz, then what is happening? Say I have a BD movie that has DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. Does it get decoded by the PS3 and sent out as LPCM 5.1?

Does it even matter what audio output formats are selected in "Audio Output Settings" because everything will be sent out as LPCM? Do the output formats only matter if bitstream is selected in "BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)?"

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just the kind of person who likes to understand exactly what is happening.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike81 /forum/post/19575969

Say I have a BD movie that has DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. Does it get decoded by the PS3 and sent out as LPCM 5.1?

Does it even matter what audio output formats are selected in "Audio Output Settings" because everything will be sent out as LPCM? Do the output formats only matter if bitstream is selected in "BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)?"

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just the kind of person who likes to understand exactly what is happening.

You are correct. It is decoded by the PS3 and sent out in LPCM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.