AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"SULLIVAN – Technology led two men up Fidelity’s massive downtown tower Monday afternoon. Thanks to the Digital Age we’re living in, three directional analog antennas mounted high above Euclid Street were removed from the landmark structure. The antennas were primarily being used to receive TV signals from St. Louis."

http://www.sullivanjournal.com/features/article_6a2537a0-a78a-11e2-a76b-0019bb30f31a.html

Looks like three pairs of LPDA's, one each for VHF-Low, VHF-High and UHF. Just like the ones I have here (singles only) from Scientific-Atlanta.

Won't they be P.O.'ed when the St.Louis stations re-pack, if they go VHF? Maybe they don't think those old "analog" antennas will work.

·
Registered
17,697 Posts
St. Louis is an all-UHF market, and the law says that unless those stations volunteer to move from UHF to VHF, they cannot be forced down to VHF.

- Trip

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just surprised that they also removed the UHF array. An OTA backup is still a good idea....our local Comcast has two or three different pickup points (at smaller hubs), so they can back-haul the locals in a fiber outage.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Those look like simple, tuned dipoles with directors and reflectors for directionality. One antenna for each channel. It's a standard MATV setup that used to litter the skylines of the world before the advent of metropolitan cable TV. As PorjectSHO89 mentioned, studio to cable head end links have made them unnecessary. Frankly I'm surprised that they remained as long as they have! Thanks to the ubiquity of cellular antennas, many municipal regulations have cracked down hard on all kinds of "eyesore" antenna structures. Sure a failback is always nice, but if city hall is breathing down the tower operator's neck, they gotta go. Besides, a p-p microwave link works better as a backup to fiber.

As for the newspaper article, there are two things that I know I can count on: 1.) the sun will rise in the morning, and 2.) the press will utterly fail to understand any and all technological topics. With May sweeps coming up, I can't help but remember an NBC affiliate that ran a hysteria-inducing piece about the alleged dangers of "ELFs" coming from overhead power lines, complete with B-roll of telephone cables! Not a single power line in sight in any shot. LOL...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts