AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 8-bow tie Channel Master antenna installed on the roof!!! All signals are in the 70's thru 80's, even though we point right into a thick grove of trees (a 10-foot mast can only do so much, even on a 2-story house) -- and that's without any type of pre-amplification or amplification. Very happy with the entire thing.

If you're in the Seattle area, I can wholeheartedly recommend Home Satellite Sales & Service ( www.homesatellite.com ). The guy was very professional, very knowledgeable, etc., etc. We got to talking, and he told me about the most intricate installation that they recently did. For various reasons, a guy had to have his antenna pole-mounted off the wall of his house. The overhangs were greater than 2', so even an 18-inch extender off the wall didn't work. So they had a custom pole made at a muffle shop -- having the pole bent "just so" so that it squiggled around the overhang of the roof. I thought that was pretty neat. Although, I'm afraid to see what the guy had to pay for it!

We added a rotator, even though I'm not sure how much we'll actually end up using it, as having the antenna point in one direction gets all the stations we need (the four networks, plus WB and UPN and a long Seattle statoin, Kong). But it definitely made installation a lot easier -- basically, he installed the antenna on the roof without worrying about alignment, and then from the family room we could rotate the antenna until signal strength max'ed out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
That antenna r0x

·
Registered
28,592 Posts
Glad to hear it! I just ordered one; should be delivered tomorrow or the next day. I had been using a disk-shaped Winegard omnidirectional that had a hard time giving me consistant reception over all local digital channels. Hopefully, the CM 4228 will provide the answer. I just hope it's not so "directional" as to give me problems since my digital transmissions come from 2 directions, almost 90 degrees apart. And no, I ain't foolin' around with no rotor!! No amp, either; going "raw"; see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
90 degrees apart is going to be very difficult to do with a single antenna. The larger CM antenna is more directional than the smaller -- I believe that the larger has a range of 15 degrees, and the smaller has 30.

·
Registered
420 Posts
depends on the strength of the signals, i pick up nyc and philly channels , and their 90 degrees apart.my local nyc dt stations are very strong, and i can pull them in at almost any point i turn my rotor to.

·
Registered
28,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mdryja
90 degrees apart is going to be very difficult to do with a single antenna. The larger CM antenna is more directional than the smaller -- I believe that the larger has a range of 15 degrees, and the smaller has 30.
Whaaaat? Uh oh, I'm screwed! The guy at Warren Electronics didn't mention that little fact... and the ChannelMaster web site doesn't go into any detail about the antennas. Shoulda' called 'em I guess...

Oh well, it's being delivered tomorrow, probably. I'll just put it up and see what it does. Damn....

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They have a flat rate of $200 for two hours. I can't recall what it was for additional hours beyond that, but our guy was here four hours (I had him to do some site inspections for later upgrade to DirecTV HD, and also piqued his brain on some other things). With tax (8.8%), the total came to just under $600. However, the only thing I was really disappointed on is that they charged $200 for the ChannelMaster rotator -- when I can get it on the web for around $70-80 (and I'm guessing that retail is $100). I'm glad that I had purchased my antenna beforehand!!! So if you go with them, I'd recommend buying your own equipment before hand.

That said, it was still worth it to me, as there was absolutely no way I was going to on the roof, and install the antenna on the highest peak of our roof.

Also learned a neat trick -- when you're running cable on an outside wall, before you pop it into the house, allow a small U at the end of the cable before it goes into the house. This way, when it rains, water that runs down the cable will drop to the bottom of the U and drip off, instead of going into the house (granted, the hole is sealed, but still).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.