Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just got an awesome email. I know that I have been talking to alot of you concerning issues about trying to calibrate your HD display with your STB and how it is virtually impossible since no one seems to be broadcasting the SMPTE color bars and other test patterns. Well I contacted Rachael Weaver over at HD NET about this last night and here is what she had to say:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for writing - you are always welcome to email me with any programming questions you might have! Normally our test pattern (10 minutes long) airs at 8amET on Tuesdays, and 2amET on Saturdays. However on Tuesday, May 13th, and the following Tuesday the 20th of May, HDNet will broadcast a special screening of our test pattern at 10amET.

Thanks,

Rachael Weaver

I'm not certain if this was ever known before, but now... at long last... we have an actual SCHEDULE of when the stuff happens!!!

I am soooooo jazzed!!

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Its been available a while, but they used to show it every day. I'm glad they gave you a schedule, I wish they would post updates on the web site.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Jeff. Thanks alot for this information. I guess this "floats my boat" because I am very excited about finally being able to see what my display

is capable of.

·
Registered
17 Posts
WOW! This is great. I asked a friend once how to tune for 1080i and he indicated you needed a special box that would send in a 1080i signal with patterns. Is this the same type of thing HDNET is doing? What equipment is needed to then do the tuning? I assume some color filters and such.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I know this may be stretching the bounds of legality, but does anyone know if it's possible (meaning within their means and within the law) for someone to take a .ts capture of it and distribute among the HTPC people? It would be of great use to us, as we currently have no way that I know of to calibrate our HD cards.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but DirecTV doesn't seem to have HDnet up during those hours (8am & 2am). Don't they start at 10am and end at 2am? I guess DirecTV viewers could stay home from work on one of the two days they show them at 10am.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
What a bunch of geeks!

I love AVS Forums!

;-]

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI,

Here is the exact link to the schedule for next week in PDF format:

http://www.hd.net/schedulepdfs/2003-...2003-05-11.pdf

No wonder I couldn't find this info in my normal searching. It appears to only be present in the PDF format schedules, not the HTML ones. :(

Also, just to be clear. The 2:00am Saturday time for the test pattern is actually SUNDAY MORNING at 2:00am. Don't go looking for it late Friday night at 2:00am (i.e. Saturday morning).

Have fun,

Jeff

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
I find it a bit hard to get excited about a test pattern.
It's not the test pattern itself, but the potential results after calibration, using a blue filter.

See this link for details: http://www.videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm

Let me add this, unless you have an ISF calibration done, this is the next best thing for HDTV displays.

·
Registered
18,924 Posts
Yah, yah, I know. I was making a joke. See the little ;) singnifies it's supposed to be funny? Eh? Get it? No? Oh well...

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
Yah, yah, I know. I was making a joke. See the little ;) singnifies it's supposed to be funny? Eh? Get it? No? Oh well...
I thought the joke was the 'whatever floats your boat' comment. Thanks for the chance to get the color bar instructions up on the forum.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Is this the same HDnet test pattern that last about 3 minutes (with a coundown timer) and has an HDnet logo in the middle... Not colorbars, but rather a resolution chart?

Or is this something more?

·
Registered
45,617 Posts
Sunday May 4th 2:00 AM ET (As noted above, they call it Saturday, but it's really Sunday)

Quote:
HDNet Test Patterns

Wonder how your home theater is doing? Wish you had test patterns to help set it up? Well, HDNet is here to help. This short program will help you get the most out of your home theater set up by providing you with the same professional test patterns HDNet uses to set up their gear.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Ok, here is a link to ATSC test and measurement standards. If you are lucky enough to have a receiver capable of pulling the test signals off the data stream, you can set up your monitor to see exactly what was recorded originally.

GT
http://www.atsc.org/guide_default.html

·
Registered
305 Posts
This is good news, I guess you guys beat to to sending them an email requesting for test patterns, I've been procrastinating on it for months now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H

Let me add this, unless you have an ISF calibration done, this is the next best thing for HDTV displays. [/b]
Even if you have an ISF calibration done, unless they can calibrate it with the signal coming out of your HD Tuner, there's no way you can ensure that your HD Tuner is putting out anything close to standard to begin with, right?

So this pattern will definitely help.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by George Thompson
Ok, here is a link to ATSC test and measurement standards. If you are lucky enough to have a receiver capable of pulling the test signals off the data stream, you can set up your monitor to see exactly what was recorded originally.

GT
http://www.atsc.org/guide_default.html
Now, this is cool. I will pay money for a tuner that has this feature.

Like having an Optimode section with every broadcast!

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
The Panasonic TU-dst50 generates an HD test pattern. A resolution chart for sure and color bars I believe. There is a code you enter to get it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.