AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have my sonotube sub on the main level of my home and will be relocating it to a designated Theater Room in the basement. Right now the sono sits atop wood floors and subfloors with composite I-beams underneath. I love the tactile sensation of exploisons that i feel in my feet and butt and I know I will loose some of that when I move the sub to a concrete based floor.

Here is my question. Will SPL levels be increased due to energy not be absorbed into "shaking" the floors? I'm guessing the waves will be reflected better off the concrete than they were on the wood upper level of the house. Am I way off base thinking this? This is assuming all other things are equal of course (ie room dimentions).

·
Banned
270 Posts
You're going to lose the tactile effect and will want to correct it after you do the move. Your wood floor makes your sub have a lot of impact where the concrete will kill the sensation. 110dB feels drastically different between wood and concrete, so don't worry about the SPL number.

The classic solution is to build a raised platform for tactile transducers (or set your sub on it, heh). You could get brave and build a raised wood floor which could double as a wire pathway, but that's just an idea since I don't have any first hand experience with that.

Sorry if this is disappointing news, but I figured I'd put it out there and not sugar-coat it.

good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.