AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get some 703 48x24x2, I hear the 703 has soft edges when you try to cover it with cloth. I was thinking of making a 2'' wood frame to go around the 48x24x2 703, will this hurt the accoustics of it. And should I leave a space behide the panel when I put it on the wall. How far apart should I hang them, from the first reflection point. I hear 1ft to 2ft apart.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Many people put wood frames around their wall treatments. If you look in "The Show Me Thread" above and look for "fabric frames" you will see links to possible build techniques. Many of those will be for people who cover most/all of their walls with fabric, but the same techniques should work for stand-alone FRP treatment.

Leaving a space behind the panel (2" 703, 1" space) would enhance the low frequency absorption of the panel, a good thing if you are looking for overall wall treatment. Specifically for your first reflection point (dealing with reflections from the front speakers that affect localization), it's likely not critical.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
On a 2" panel for the early reflections of the room I would not worry so much about opening up the sides. Now if you are talking about 4" or 6" for bass trapping then I would say yes do it, if you can, but still if you can't I would not say you have totally messed up. Just remember that sound is coming not only from the front but the sides of the panel.

BTW if the panel is 2" thick you really want to space it off the wall 2". One way to do this is to use 4" wood frame sides so there is a 2" gap in the back of the panel. That is how we do it for our Elite panel and I think it makes it look much nicer over all.

Glenn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts