AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the early planning stages of a sub for a modest living room system, 70% music / 30% movies. Leaning heavily toward a sealed 15" Rythmik kit, optionally adding a second distributed unit later after I see what the room does with a single. L/R mains are Mark K's ER18DXT (darned nice stand mount 2-ways, btw) with Zaph's ZD3C sealed at the center. Surrounds to be determined.

I was thinking it might be interesting to craft a stealthy end table sub, but rather than the standard solution of a downfiring driver and the plate amp hiding on the "back", I'd go ahead and mount the driver on the side behind decorative wooden slats. Sorta like this, but a different shape of course (unless the bug bites hard and I go for dually 15s to start
) :

Anybody done something like this? Any anticipated problems from partially obstructing the driver like this, possibly not much more than 50% open? Any way to predict issues ahead of time? Or am I thinking too much?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
it can definitely work.

for one example, go here http://www.cowanaudio.com/

click on the left "Infinite Baffle Sub"

see how he fires a massive infinite baffle through the wooden slats behind his bookcase.

it is so stealth, i couldn't figure out what was going on at first.

then i realized the ib was firing through the slats behind the bookcase and had an "ah, that is really stealth" moment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.