AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of you have basement concrete slab (below grade), mine is actually ground level (on grade). I was curious though what most of you did? From my research I see a few options:-

1. Plywood on slab : Put down a 3/4" plywood over the concrete (with a vapor barrier) and then nail the floor onto the plywood.

2. Sleeper : Place 2 x 4's on the floor and put the wooden floor on that (again with a vapor barrier)

3. Floating wooden floor on a pad directly on the concrete (vapor barrier).

4. Glue down wooden floor on barrier pad thing (flooring is about 1/2")

Which option did most of you pick? I'm nervous of the floating floor as I would hate to have those annoying soft spots where there is a gap between the concrete and the wooden floor that depresses when you step on it.

I've heard mixed reports on the glue down. How happy have you been with your approach? What would you do differently if you did it again? I don't have the option of adding more than 1 1/4" to my concrete slab. So option 2 is out for sure. I am interested in option 4.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The wooden floor I was considering is Armstrong Century Farm 5" Hand Sculpted Honey Butter. Comes out around $7.50 / ft^2. It is 1/2" thick and 5 ply. Can be floated or glued...

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,675 Posts
I skipped the wood floor and went with a stained concrete floor on top of our slab. Came out great and does not seem to cause any audio problems (at least none I can measure) in my media room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts