AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see many ID companies producing speakers with some form of RAAL tweeter element for HF reproduction, but these same companies use different woofers to fill out the bass and midrange, whether they be stock woofers costing tens to several hundreds of dollars, or special models specially made for some companies ( the SEAS woofer in the new Ascend Sierra-2 being an example).

What characteristics ( woofer cone material, distortion figures, other aspects) are more important ( if any) in accurate and pleasing midrange/bass sound reproduction? Are the more expensive woofers from SEAS, Scan-Speak, Accuton, etc. THAT much better? Or are these newer woofers easier to design crossovers with said RAAL tweeters to maximize integration for better sound reproduction in critical areas ( vocal ranges, for instance)?

Would love to hear responses from speaker designers such as Bill F., Dennis Murphy, Jim Salk, among others, as well as experienced DIYers and anyone else knowledgeable in this area......

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I look at frequency response, waterfall plots, THD, sensitivity and price. I use whatever gives the best combination of the first four while staying at or below the desired price.

I believe when referring to RAAL you mean planar tweeters, which also can cost fifty bucks or five hundred. I choose those by the same criteria.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1522288/woofer-selection-to-reproduce-midrange-bass#post_24475653

I look at frequency response, waterfall plots, THD, sensitivity and price. I use whatever gives the best combination of the first four while staying at or below the desired price.

I believe when referring to RAAL you mean planar tweeters, which also can cost fifty bucks or five hundred. I choose those by the same criteria.

Bill,is there a "sweet spot" in the combination of the characteristics you mentioned, including price? Do some higher cost woofers/tweeters have a more favorable "sweet spot" so that they may be preferable despite the higher cost?

I understand there are tradeoffs here, including price. Just trying to figure out why manufacturers and designers use what they use....your comments are , as usual, a good reference point.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgman1  /t/1522288/woofer-selection-to-reproduce-midrange-bass#post_24475865

Just trying to figure out why manufacturers and designers use what they use....your comments are , as usual, a good reference point.
In theory the best cone material will be one with infinite stiffness and no mass, while the worst is one with infinite mass and no stiffness. What is actually available lies somewhere in between those extremes. For the most part what you get for more $ is a cone that's closer to the former than the latter. But sometimes a more expensive driver isn't any better, it's just more expensive. Knowing when more $ is worthwhile and when it isn't is a matter of comparing the specs, along with a few years, or decades, of practical experience.

Reactions: padgman1
1 - 4 of 4 Posts