AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´ve been at the SIMO in Spain this weekend and this D-iLA do real cinema baby!!!

This machine is the future, actually a little expensive for home use (163.000$) but really an incredible image, def., weight (10m), colour, etc...

May be one day it will be available for mortals....:D

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Isn't that one helluva machine?? Best picture I've ever seen from a non-film projector of any technology class. In fact, I haven't even seen a film presentation that could touch it, but I don't get to go to the "first showings" either.

How much does 163.000$ translate into USD? I know that it's a LOT, but just wondering where the price has gone since I've seen it.

How big was the screen? Were they showing mostly HDTV UPconverted to the projector's native resolution?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
This projector creates an entirely new kind of image.

Something like 35MM or even 70MM film in sharpness and resolution, but lacking any grain, dust or noise.

A combination of the best features of video and film.

I have seen almost every kind of image-presentation system made in the last 60 years. The QXGA D-ILA was a revelation.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
How about a Ferrari and a Sharp 9000? Come on guys! Think value! Of course, that sentiment would kill the Ferrari...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Mendicino
Hmm....Ferrari.....or projector????...hmmmmm....
Traffic is so bad here that a Ferrari is worthless. My old Porsche mainly sits in the garage while I ride everywhere on my BMW motorcycle.

Being able to ride the motorcycle down the stripe between the cars (legal and encouraged in California) almost makes traffic jams go away. Riding to the front of the line waiting for stop lights almost removes the irritation.

·
Registered
613 Posts
will it fit in the front seat of my ferrari :cool:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Since everyone is flagrantly exploiting this thread for post gains, I must object. One more for me.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
The pixel density on this unit is incredible.

While TI is saying 1280 is enough for digital cinema. JVC is showing that 2048 is more than enough.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Does TI, and JVC, use a different fill rate when dealing with the Cinema level projectors?

If, on DLP, and even Dila,the pixel structure can be, if ever so slightly made out on 100" screens, how does this not become a problem on theatre size screens?

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
David,

The first row people are always going to see pixels or film grain.

However, viewing one screen width away, Chuck Yeagar wouldn't be able to see the pixel structure on the QXGA.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
613 Posts
Until my screen spans from ceiling to floor and wall to wall, and my perception of reality is bent enough that I bump my head trying to join Dorothy in the poppy fields, those little dots will never be small enough or plentiful enough... :)

Of course, a sub $10K street price would be a nice plus. :D

What's the market niche for these things? Digital cinemas? Does anyone know if there's a setup near Annapolis MD?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'd go for the Ferrari! :)..Well my email address is [email protected] ........ya think I like their cars?..lol

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Hi,

Okay, where can I preorder one of these? ;-)

Just kidding. Probably going to be a few years of price drops, but it wouldn't surprise me if a smaller consumerized version of such a projector would be the one or two after my next projector!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
"If, on DLP, and even Dila,the pixel structure can be, if ever so slightly made out on 100" screens, how does this not become a problem on theatre size screens?"

David,

With the 1280 X 1024 DLP E-Cinema projectors they use an ISCO 16:9 lens. I couldn't see any visible pixels even from 5 feet away from the 50' wide screen.

Of course the QXGA FPTVs could do this without the lens, and maybe the technology will progress enough to be able to do realtime HD resolution playback without any compression when the QXGA models hit the theaters (hopefully soon).

JVC's D-ILA roadmap shows a 1920 X 1080 native LCOS FPTV coming out next year. Who knows if it will be out a consumer pricing but it's coming, and will no doubt be cheaper than the current QXGA model.

-Dean.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jackmay

Being able to ride the motorcycle down the stripe between the cars (legal and encouraged in California) almost makes traffic jams go away.
I didn't know that. I take back most of the profanities I used the last time I was there.:)

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Dean, I don't know how that is possible, The new sharp z9000 is 1280x720, not much of a difference in terms of pixels. I am sure make that at 200 inches, let alone 50 feet, one could make out the pixels? The ISCO stretches the image, unlike the panamorph, which compresses it, so I can't see how that would make a difference.

On a fixed screen, I can understand, because you are shrinking it down to fit, in escence, making the pixels smaller. But on that size, I just dont' see it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.