AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my MSDN subscription, and I have access to XP Media Center Edition for testing purposes. What now? I have a different video card than the supported one, and a different TV card. Is this a lost cause, or are there others out there that have got something working?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nope-you have to stick with their "approved" hardware. This applies more towards the TV capture card rather than the actual video card.

Gerry

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like I have to wait a little longer and go with Harmony. Harmony releases 9/30, and will support ATI AIW cards 97/98xx as a single card solution. I suspect with ATI's push with Harmony support, then the remote from ATI will have tighter integration with the correct drivers. I need to do more research, but the site xpMCE is a great resource.

Now to find a cheap AIW 9800 card...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did install MCE on a Shuttle SB51G with an ATI AIW 9000. No crashes or anything but Remote Wonder wasn't one of the supported remotes and I think I had problems Symantec Systemworks.

Eventually replace MCE with WinXP Pro and ATI EazyLook now.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by judicator
I did install MCE on a Shuttle SB51G with an ATI AIW 9000. No crashes or anything but Remote Wonder wasn't one of the supported remotes and I think I had problems Symantec Systemworks.

Eventually replace MCE with WinXP Pro and ATI EazyLook now.
I will have to search on ATI EazyLook, but what are your comments on it, what does it do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have MCE 2004 and an AIW 9700... it doesn't support the AIW and had to buy a PVR-250... please let me know where you read that Harmony works with the AIW.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mavromatis
I have MCE 2004 and an AIW 9700... it doesn't support the AIW and had to buy a PVR-250... please let me know where you read that Harmony works with the AIW.
There is an ATI employee who posts on xpMCE's forum. He said that in a post concerning getting the current MCE to work with ATI, but the ATI person said full support will be in Harmony.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hmmm... interesting... I'm using the ATI AIW for graphics display and with DScaler... but I couldn't use it as the TV card in MCE2004. The PVR-250 worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Doesn't it just use WDM drivers? So any card with WORKING WDM drivers should work. I would think that any capture card which would work with Windows Media encoder would work with MCE as well.

My experience is that most WDM cards don't quite work. - PCTV the color is wrong, -XCapture crashes and burns WME. -FlyVideo great picture, no audio or tuner capability.

·
Registered
174 Posts
No.

The video card has to do hardware mpeg2 decoding to work with MCE. I believe ATI has come up with a software solution that makes it look like the card has mpeg2 decoding. That's why it will work with the next version of MCE. It is being specifically written for that version.

Gerry

·
Registered
900 Posts
The WinTV cards (PVR-250/350) only have hardware Encoders... thus the need for a MPEG2 decoder codec (like installing a software based DVD player... PowerDVD, NVIDIA DVD, etc).

I've read something about the MCE working with the ATI AIW as well... and bought a 9700 AIW for this reason and had to disable to TV driver and purchase a PVR-250... I have the final release of MCE 2004 and it doesn't support the AIW out of the box... (it doesn't support the PVR-250 either, you need to install a driver first, which isn't included with the MCE update).

So I suspect that ATI will be releasing a new driver for MCE 2004 which will make it work... I still don't know how good it will work since it will be using CPU to encode the MPEG2 (I've read that the ATI uses software and possible some hardware to encode MPEG2) vs. the full hardware encoder the PVR-250 uses.

I'm not an MCE expert... but this is what I have learned from building a MCE 2004 box last week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.