AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's an Analog Standard Def 25" Sony Trinitron. That sounds pretty boring, but when you read carefully you realize that Sony hasn't made 25" Trinitrons for the US market in decades if ever, they used to make 20" tvs and then the next largest size in the US was 27", When the FD Trinitron Wegas came out, they came out with the 24" size. So HOW do I have a 25" tube?

Well, it's actually a European model I picked up from some filthy rich guy's house whos kid bought it while on a semmester abroad in Europe and he brought it back with him. Now I do have to buy a 110 to 220 volt step up voltage transformer, but it's well worth it. Here's why it's worth it, the tv has a Scart 15.75khz ANALOG RGB INPUT. What that means is that I can now buy an RGB switchbox and RGB cables for my Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Super NES, Sony Playstation, and many other systems and play then in PRISTINE FLAWLESS PIXEL FOR PIXEL PERFECT ANALOG RGB.

The difference between even S-video and RGB is night and day.

RGB is FULL UNCOMPRESSED, it's FLAWLESS, it's ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

I also think that 20" to 25" is the perfect size display for those classic systems because they don't have enough resolution to look good on a larger screen. The N64 when using the EXPANSION PACK was the first console that looked good on a larger screen, the Dreamcast with it's 640x480 resolution also looked good on larger screens.

Anyway, here are some pics.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't got the voltage transformer yet, but I'm going to do some S-video vs RGB, and Composite vs RGB comparison screenshots after I get my cables and transformer.

Now I'm finally going to get to find out if those rainbow effects in Sonic 1 in the waterfalls are really programmed into the game or if they're just moire effect because of the crappy composite video input.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Interesting that it was made in the UK. I guess due to the shipment cost of those big CRTs, Sony had local factories set up in each market?

Post game pics when you get it up and running.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Looks to be in pretty decent shape. Good find. I thought that most of the Sony professional CRT monitors over here in the US have the RGB connections??

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the pro ones have it too, but they have BNC type RGB inputs, so you always have to buy a converter cable to convert from scart to BNC type RGB.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Aren't you the same guy who made that RGB Monitor thread? Are you more interested in

numbers than actual picture itself? If you aren't, then you should see what HDTV vs

Analog does to your world

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. /forum/post/14321020

Aren't you the same guy who made that RGB Monitor thread? Are you more interested in

numbers than actual picture itself? If you aren't, then you should see what HDTV vs

Some folks want the best possible video quality out of their devices.... digital or analog. Of course there are a few devices out there that only really output 15.75khz RGB video that these monitors are handy to have aroudn (mostly older computers).

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. /forum/post/14321020

LCD and Plasma Hdtvs in the US suck for Sega Master System, Commodore 64, Amiga, Arari XE, Genesis, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, N64, PS1, and interlaced scan games for Dreamcast, Gamecube, and PS2.

But I guess if you live in a world where Xbox 360 and PS3 are just about the only systems ever, and motion blur is magically hidden, then those lcds and plasmas would be great for gaming.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack White /forum/post/14322415

LCD and Plasma Hdtvs in the US suck for Sega Master System, Commodore 64, Amiga, Arari XE, Genesis, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, N64, PS1, and interlaced scan games for Dreamcast, Gamecube, and PS2.

But I guess if you live in a world where Xbox 360 and PS3 are just about the only systems ever, and motion blur is magically hidden, then those lcds and plasmas would be great for gaming.

Motion blur is only available on LCD due to it have slow response time. Plasma

on the other hand is different as it uses phosphor too like CRT. Even today, a

good LCD HDTV eliminate the noticeable blur. I own Pioneer Kuro Elite Plasma,

Sony Bravia LCD TV, Sony SXRD RPTV, Sony SXRD FPTV, and Sony Trinitron

CRT HDTV. They are all widescreen 1080p except 1080i on Trinitron. I've tested

PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, NES, SNES, and Dreamcast on all of them and to be

honest with regardless of specific technology image difference, they are all the

same. Of course you can say RGB is uncompressed analog etc. etc.. But instead

of playing it, you are scrutinizing number specification instead of actual perception

of the image. It's like people who bashes CRT because it's not real HD when

it comes to resolution (853x1080 or 1440x1080) but in actual image quality

can beat LCDs and some Plasmas that can even reach as high as 1080p. So

why bust your balls just to have that when you can have the same results?

I understand your "purist" approach but claiming it better is not really factual.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Sony Trinitron!! Niceeee!! You'll have that TV for a long time. My 20 year old Sony 27" Trinitron still works after all these years. They don't make TVs like that anymore. Enjoy it!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack White /forum/post/14322415

Then pick up a CRT HDTV. They're actually affordable now.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle /forum/post/14325890

Sony Trinitron!! Niceeee!! You'll have that TV for a long time. My 20 year old Sony 27" Trinitron still works after all these years. They don't make TVs like that anymore. Enjoy it!!

20 years old?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I believe diagonal crt measurements in the US are required to be advertised and based upon the viewable screen, while abroad the measurement is the actual face of the crt (including under the bezel). 24" US = 25" UK

·
Registered
674 Posts
Just be careful with one of those AC converter things. My friend had one for his imported neo geo and that thing always got CRAZY HOT!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Sony did make a 25" CRT set for the U.S. market. It was the KV-25XBR and it was the first Sony XBR. I bought one in 1986 for $850 (a lot at the time). It had the best picture of any TV at that time and was replaced by a 26" or 27" the following year.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech /forum/post/14346096

Sony did make a 25" CRT set for the U.S. market. It was the KV-25XBR and it was the first Sony XBR. I bought one in 1986 for $850 (a lot at the time). It had the best picture of any TV at that time and was replaced by a 26" or 27" the following year.

Great TV. I bought that 27"XBR in 1988, and also the optional Stand w/sub woofer inside. Paid about $1500 for it, and that was a discount ordered from Wisconsin Discount Stereo, which had ads in Stereophile mag and sold nationwide. The TV was freighted to me, and I picked it up at a local freight depot. Everything was perfect, and the TV is still working & playing beautifully today.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle /forum/post/14339719

Yup. It refuses to break down. I like to see TVs today last that long.

Me too. I have a Zenith VCR from around 1985 that I bought last year and it works like its brand new it even has the original remote.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was in the UK last year clearing house for my Grandmother. I took her broken CRT to the local Municipal Dump.

While I was there an elderly lady arrived with a perfectly working set and asked if there was anywhere she could donate it. The guy pointed to a dumpster full of recent, working sets and said "that's just the ones that came in this morning".

Thrift stores can't sell them without a safety test certificate so you can only sell them with private ads. Of course nobody wants them in these days of Plasmas and LCDs.

I didn't see one Hi-Def CRT while I was there. You have to go flat panel if you want HD.

Having said that UK standard def is 625 lines (576 visable?) and their SD digital "Freeview" broadcasts look almost HD on a well set TV.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts