AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been always a LCD fan until i when to best buy the other day and saw the panasonic 65" on display and it totally blow me away, word cannot describe how crisp the picture is, although i havn't't been kept up to date in the electronic department in years and haven't seem much variety of different tv models, this is definitely the best ive seem.

one question:

ive always thought LCD are superior to Plasmas? Plz enlighten me.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Superior in which way? Better whites and brighter image? Yes.

Plug and play? Yes.

Better blacks? Generally, no.

Better motion resolution? Generally, no. Unless you get a set with a 120hz, but these create an unatural looking image and can introduce artifacting. Although it does look cool.

Off axis viewing? Pretty good on some panels, better than a plasma? no.

Better with glare? On most yes, but the only panels that can equal, or be comparable to a higher end plasma, have a highly reflective screen.

As for Panasonics 65" panel, it is a very good set, but not worth the price tag IMO. Considering you have to dish out an additional $999.99 for the stand. I'd rather sacrifice the 5" and get a Pro151 if I were you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well..plasmas have lower resolutions than lcd, burn in, consumes more electricity ,lcds have longer life span, 1.33 ratio reso like 1024x768 which turns me off, etc..thats why i choose my flat panel LCD over it.im in the market of getting a new tv again, so after seeing the panasonic plasma, i might give plasma a shot this time, but still not totally convince yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lift Off 7 /forum/post/14258321

well..plasmas have lower resolutions than lcd, burn in, consumes more electricity ,lcds have longer life span, 1.33 ratio reso like 1024x768 which turns me off, etc..thats why i choose my flat panel LCD over it.im in the market of getting a new tv again, so after seeing the panasonic plasma, i might give plasma a shot this time, but still not totally convince yet.

the 2008 panasonic plasma's have 100,000 hours lifetime and are now available in full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080) at an affordable price when compared to lcd tv's imo..

Panasonic's Official Website

Panasonic's Official Website - Viera Plasma Facts

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:

Yikes. Time to catch up to 2008. About the only thing there that's correct in that statement is "consumes more electricity" which really amounts to tens of dollars more per year all said and done.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If you watch sports, LCD's have terrible motion blur which is not fixed by the 120hz thing no matter what any salesman says. This will keep me from buying an LCD until they get it fixed. Also, screen uniformity on an LCD is not very good. In case you didn't know, screen uniformity is how well the picture looks no matter where on the screen you are looking. Sometimes the picture looks good in the center of the panel but not as good around the edges. Moreover, off angle viewing is much better on a plasma than LCD. The only department that LCD is better than a plasma is in a brightly lit room since the brightness is usually higher on an LCD than a plasma so if your tv is in your living room upstairs and there are alot of windows then go with the LCD. Otherwise, LCD cannot match the plasma overall.

·
Registered
622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyler13 /forum/post/14258632

Yikes. Time to catch up to 2008. About the only thing there that's correct in that statement is "consumes more electricity" which really amounts to tens of dollars more per year all said and done.

No kidding. Everything in Lift Off 7's post is completely wrong. The original poster was probably so impressed because plasma produces a better picture and that would be significantly reinforced at the 65" screen size.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I really wish liftoff7 could have confirmed the model number. Its likely that he saw last years model, the 700 or 750 series as this years models the 800 and 850 series aren't even supposed to be available until August/September per Panasonic's release information. And the 800 and 850s are supposed to be even better if the spec upgrades are any indication.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup /forum/post/14259549

If you watch sports, LCD's have terrible motion blur which is not fixed by the 120hz thing no matter what any salesman says. This will keep me from buying an LCD until they get it fixed. Also, screen uniformity on an LCD is not very good. In case you didn't know, screen uniformity is how well the picture looks no matter where on the screen you are looking. Sometimes the picture looks good in the center of the panel but not as good around the edges. Moreover, off angle viewing is much better on a plasma than LCD. The only department that LCD is better than a plasma is in a brightly lit room since the brightness is usually higher on an LCD than a plasma so if your tv is in your living room upstairs and there are alot of windows then go with the LCD. Otherwise, LCD cannot match the plasma overall.

Plasma's have motion problems at times as well, and it's true Plasma has MUCH better viewing angles, there is a reflection on the glass that can give the impression of double vision.

Unlike 3 years ago, you really can't go wrong on any of the TV techs out now. They all have their ups and downs.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
This is a debate seen here many times.

Over a given time period, Plasma does not draw more power than LCD.

LCDs draw the same current whether light or dark.

Plasma only draws rated current at full white and highly bright inputs.

Plasma draws little current at black level.

LCDs increase current draw as they age.

Sometimes you need to think beyond the spec sheets, numbers can be misleading.

TW

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techniwizard /forum/post/14260215

This is a debate seen here many times.

Over a given time period, Plasma does not draw more power than LCD.

LCDs draw the same current whether light or dark.

Plasma only draws rated current at full white and highly bright inputs.

Plasma draws little current at black level.

LCDs increase current draw as they age.

Sometimes you need to think beyond the spec sheets, numbers can be misleading.

TW

I'm not sure this is true. While plasma power draw does depend on how much bright stuff is on the screen, they still use more power than LCDs overall. The common number is about 25% more. Look at the cnet reviews -- they give average power use figures that should be relatively useful.

I've also never heard that LCD power useage goes up as the display ages. Why would that be?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've never been impressed with this display. With a contrast ratio of 5000:1, it's hard to be impressed. Add to that, the colors always look washed out to me. Then of course, I see it's ridiculous price tag, & all that consumes about 30 seconds of my time before moving to the next display.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnsmith7 /forum/post/14261003

I've never been impressed with this display. With a contrast ratio of 5000:1, it's hard to be impressed. Add to that, the colors always look washed out to me. Then of course, I see it's ridiculous price tag, & all that consumes about 30 seconds of my time before moving to the next display.

The 65PZ850U should be much better in terms of picture quality and brightness...

Chris

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/14262346

The 65PZ850U should be much better in terms of picture quality and brightness...

Chris

But will it ever be released, this 850 series is taking for ever for the larger sizes.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts

Quote:

Use the search function and do some research.....and get your facts straight. This isn't the gamespot forum.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Quote:

Do some research and you will see that most of that is wrong information.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision /forum/post/14262367

But will it ever be released, this 850 series is taking for ever for the larger sizes.

I agree. I am not sure on what Panasonic's strategy is to release these displays later this year...

Chris

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/14262658

I agree. I am not sure on what Panasonic's strategy is to release these displays later this year...

Chris

I hope there startegy is a good one because I think alot of people are getting tired of waiting.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts