AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following up on the thread below about dealings with Gregg at Leather Direct, I wanted to share my expericnce with Paul at Leather Direct. Since Gregg had left LD, I ordered my three 090's with the electric option from Paul. I ordered March 28..the transaction was handled both via phone and email. Paul said about 4 weeks to delivery. I wasn't sold on the 4 week delivery time...as it took 11 weeks on my first set of four 090's from JC Penny's HomeStore. Well , low and behold, they arrived on my doorstep the April 29th. They were well packaged and exactly as ordered.

This was a painless experience...and will probably order more furniture from him to complete my wife's livingroom.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Nice to see the other side of the coin for a change. Too often we only hear about the problems. While I have no quarrels with criticizing bad service, it's equally important (at least to me as a consumer) to read about positive experiences and give credit when it's due.

Glad it all worked out for you.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Got a link? phone number? Is it leather direct com?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by q3131a
Got a link? phone number? Is it leather direct com?
Here you go...

www.leather-direct.com

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have to put another plug in here for Paul Evans of Leather-Direct.com. I placed an order for eight Berkline 090s, and it was just a shade over four weeks until they were sitting in my garage. There was not a single problem with the order, and the seats are fantastic. Paul was responsive to my emails and calls before the sale, and afterwards to check status.

Thanks Paul!

- Chris

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can you tell where the chairs were shipped from? Did they get drop shipped from TN or did they go to leather-direct and then out from there?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveDel
Can you tell where the chairs were shipped from? Did they get drop shipped from TN or did they go to leather-direct and then out from there?
The chairs do come direct from TN but are not drop shipped. Berkline thinks they are destined for the dealer but the trucking company relabels and redirects the shipment. It doesn't happen often, but orders have sometimes been switched by the trucking company.

Berkline does not and will not drop ship.

Sam

·
Registered
86 Posts
More Kudos to Leater-Direct.com!

I ordered 8 090s (leather match, power recline) on 4/4/2003 and the truck driver just left (5/14/2003). So, five weeks from order to door.

Paul was great to work with - very responsive and knowledgeable. His pricing was the most aggressive I found (that includes the AVS pricing).

I am completely satisfied with Leather-Direct.com and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Kevin

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Not to rain on their parade, but A/V Science is a Berkline dealer as well and offer excellent pricing (which we guarantee is lowest I might add) as well as customer service. Why not support the forum that we all love? :)

Just an FYI.

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jason - I did reach out to you regarding this order and at the time you would not meet leather-direct's pricing. I was looking to support the forum and I plan to in the future where possible.

If I have violated any forum rules by promoting leather-direct I am sorry and will stop right now.

Kevin

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think this thread is a good counter-balance to my thread concerning my issues with Gregg in his guise as Leather-Direct. It would be unfortunate if the new owner of the company, who seems to be an honest, hard-working businessman, were negatively impacted by Gregg's association with the company. I don't want my complaints about the old owner to hurt the new owner.

So, I don't see this thread as an advertisement so much as a confirmation that the new Leather-Direct should be considered separately from the old.

For the record, I've purchased from both the new Leather-Direct (Paul gave me a good deal to make up for dealing with Gregg) and with AV Science (Jason gave me a good price on my screen), and found both to be very professional and responsive. I think you would have a good experience with either company.

--Mike

·
Registered
463 Posts
Buying any large ticket item online requires extra care to avoid being royally f****d. You should always ABSOLUTELY require the following from ANY vendor:
  1. absolute total cost listed on the invoice - even if shipping is COD, the estimated cost should be guaranteed in writing - if the vendor won't guarantee your bottom line price, then walk, otherwise you eat any increase in shipping - double the verbal estimate for shipping is not uncommon for amateur vendors that pull a shipping estimate out of their *ss
  2. no more than 10% down payment, even for special orders - if the vendor can't float the cost until the order ships, they're an amateur that's not worth your risk - NEVER put down 100% deposit
  3. understand how your order gets from the factory to your house - some companies violate their dealership agreement by having the shipping company intercept and redirect your shipment out of their territory- if there's a mixup, you are royally f****d with no recourse - if there's a warranty issue, same answer[/list=1]Many people have bought online from these dealers with no problems--they have been very lucky, and that's all. There have been more than a dozen people that I am personally aware of that have had major problems from these vendors. To avoid these problems, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING and UNDERSTAND HOW THE GAME IS PLAYED. These vendors are not "great guys". They are not your 'buddy". They are businessmen who you hope operate with some minimal ethical standards. When they violate reasonable ethical standards, you have a duty to report that to this forum. Unfortunately, in the past bad reports were removed by the moderator while good reports were allowed to stay (I personally think this is very stupid, since it exposes the moderator to unlimited legal liability--that is why the major ISP's don't sensor content). Good intentions don't mean s**t, written contracts are your best protection.

--Dan

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just put in an order w/ Jason @ AV Science for a set of 3 seats. After got quotes from couple sources, his price is the lowest. I'm happy that I was able to purchase from the company that put in the great forum for us to use. I didn't practice all the things Dan mentioned but I hope for the best.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I ended up getting my 090's from Paul who was excellent to deal with. I tried to use AVS but I never got a return call. Same thing happened when I wanted to buy a screen last year.

Bomber

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ultimately had a great experience ordering from Paul at Leather Direct, but I also know that AVS is very competetive and their support is needed. Ultimately, however, Leather Direct's prices were the best. Paul was accomodating in every way possible. My shipment took a bit longer than most are getting (about 7 weeks), but everything was as promised. Paul always returned my calls and e-mails. There was an issue with the freight being higher than quoted because the original quote was only good for 30 days when I purchased, but Paul sent me a check for the difference promptly. As already mentioned, despite the company name being the same, this is one honest guy working hard to earn new business. And the 090's are great, our cat has already given her seal of approval with 3 small claw punctures. We've put a stop to any further damage, but now it is hard for me to convince my wife that leather was the only way to go!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I would have have given AVS first chance but it's been FIVE days since I called and left a very specific message and I still haven't received a return call. Like I said earlier, last year I wanted to buy a screen from them and I got the same response. Oh well I tried! On the other hand, Paul was (is) excellent to deal with. Everything so far has been exactly as he promised and he is very prompt at returning calls.

Harlan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.