AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Work begun few questions

779 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  BIGmouthinDC
I am starting to frame out my room in the basement for theater.

3 of my 4 walls are outside walls.

My question is this:

I am trying to budget how much money to spend on sound isolation from rest of house mainly to the upstairs. Adjoining rooms downstairs make no difference to me unless it will travel up stairs.

I am wondering if I need to put in the sound isolation board, 2 layers of drywall. Risilent channel....etc on these outside walls, or is that just wasting money since they are block outside walls??
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Long answer: Think of your room as a fish tank. If you pay special care and provide heavy duty glass and silicone on both sides and the front but neglect the back... Well you will still have a very wet floor.

Noise that can escape a room will travel up / down / and all over the place. Much like your video or audio is only as good as the weakest link, so is your room. Many will state (I agree) that the audio equip. is secondary to your room.

You are keeping the theater noise in and the rest of the house out. Treat it to keep the noises in the rooms you want them and treat the sound for any peaks and valleys in the audio spectrum and you can have "marginal" equipment sounding much better than very high end gear in an untreated room!!!! Spend the money on the room.... Much easier to upgrade equipment than room.

Short answer: Work on all walls and ceiling...

Good luck
See less See more
Freon, Did you remember to put up the draftstopping that may be required by your local building code before the walls went up?
See attached for fire-stopping

details.pdf 368.5517578125k . file

Attachments

Great PDF bigmouth, thanks.

I came across several other regional guidelines, but that one from Fairfax County seems to be the most useful.

Here's one for Colorado basements:
http://www.coloradochaptericc.org/basement.pdf

Vernon Hills IL:
http://www.vernonhills.org/forms/dow...l%20Permit.pdf

Winnipeg:
http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/pdf_files/bsmtdev.pdf
http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/pdf_files/HOElec.pdf
See less See more
Thanks bigmouth, my walls are not up yet. If you were looking at pictures on my site...that is how the walls were whan I moved in. I have since demo'd the whole area now back to conrete walls.

I am not really worried about them conforming with my local building code in that respect. The walls that I tore out down there were just furring strips with 1/2"foam insulation behind em and 1/2"drywall overtop.

As far as I am concered this room was here when I bought the house :p

I dont plan on going too overboard on this theater, being it my first home I only plan to be here 5 yrs.

EMartin: my question is will the outside walls need to have sound isolation means in place just to keep sound from traveling to the upstairs.

As far as the Acoustics of the room is concered I believe I tackle this by applying stuff to the outside of my last layer of Wall.
See less See more
Quote:
Originally posted by freon

As far as I am concered this room was here when I bought the house :p

Be careful talking like that around here. There are lots of code-abiding people on this forum. Well, there are a lot of non-code-abiding people as well.

Just be sure you build to code. I guess that's up to you if you get the permits and inspections. I've just heard of too many people having to tear out and start over after getting caught.
Freon,

The answer to your question is yes - you need to build the outside walls with as much attention to sound isolation as you give to any other wall if you want to avoid having sound travel upstairs.

Good luck,

Dwight
Roger that.....

(I was just looking over my previous posts.....I really can spell!!)
One more vote for building to code, whether or not you have it permitted and inspected, makes good sense from the standpoint of family safety and to avoid the hassle of a future home resale inspection that spots a code violation and opens a can of worms (expensive worms). I will admit that I hacked around the first 4 homes that I owned. Thankfully none of them have burned down yet.

Building to code usually doesn't cost a lot more, it just requires more planning and research.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.