AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm just starting to get into the world of Hi-Fi audio, and have been doing a bit of research in a variety of places. I'm trying to organize my audio priorities and give some order to my preferences. I have a decent list of recommendations, but I'm not entirely sure of some of the specifics with how each of the speakers would work for my situation.

Primarily, I'm going to be using them in my college apartment for music listening. I have a (cheapo) set of surround sound that I'll be hanging on to for movies and games, so I'll just source them differently. With that said, there's not a whole lot of space. I would probably be doing most of my listening in the nearfield, and the speakers will probably end up pretty close to the wall. Getting them too powerful would be an issue too; still have neighbors to try not to bother (too much).

This is the list I'm currently working with, in no particular order:

NHT Classic Three

Energy RC-10 (possibly Veritas line also?)

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1

Epos M5/ELS-3

Any of the above that stand out more than the others?

I toured a showroom, but they had fairly limited brand supply, especially in my market segment. I did listen to some B&W 686s there, but I just have a hunch that the above speakers will be of a bit higher caliber (and for cheaper, if I can find some good used deals).

I'm also in the market for a receiver, but I'm much more familiar with those than I am speakers. The people at the showroom pointed me to the Denon AVR-1910 , and I'd say it's looking pretty attractive. I'm not completely sold on it yet though, so any suggestions for a better AVR in that same market segment would be appreciated (cheaper would be nice too).

So that's where I am right now. Looking for any good suggestions and advice. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Down R Up L Y B

Is that $1k you're looking at spending? The Classic 3 is a favorite for me. I like the NHT sound, it's pretty innocuous. Receivers are receivers are receivers. Check out Onkyo for bang for buck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'm shopping in the 600-1k range of speakers, but in truth I'd like to spend less than $500... should be fairly doable with used equipment.

I've looked at the Onkyos quite a bit. The 706B/806 look pretty good, but I'm not so sure after all of the "blue dot" stories that came up. I am a fan of the Furoudja DCDi though (have it on my monitor). Any opinions on Yamahas in general?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, would something like the Mirage OMNI 60s be something I should look into? I know it's a different technology and not something to be compared directly with other speakers, but would it fit my situation well enough? Having a tie-in with my screen name would just be a bonus

Finally, is there a site or directory where I could find a list of audio centers and/or showrooms by location? As I said, I've only been to the one, and that took quite a bit of searching to pinpoint.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmnigamerOmega /forum/post/16920699

Actually, would something like the Mirage OMNI 60s be something I should look into? I know it's a different technology and not something to be compared directly with other speakers, but would it fit my situation well enough? Having a tie-in with my screen name would just be a bonus

Finally, is there a site or directory where I could find a list of audio centers and/or showrooms by location? As I said, I've only been to the one, and that took quite a bit of searching to pinpoint.

On the second point, I found it easiest to search the dealer locator of some popular brands (PSB, Paradigm, B&W, etc) and use those to find dealers close to you as shops typically carry several brands that could be of interest to you. For instance, a quick search for PSB in my area gives me a shop that carries PSB, Paradigm, NHT, Monitor Audio, and DALI.

In the price range you're in, it would definitely pay off to go out and listen to as many models as you can because in that range, there are often distinct characteristics of speakers because you can't have it all in that range although there are some exceptions IMO.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Any opinions on Yamahas in general?

I have a Yamaha and it does very well. There are some that will bash the brand or any others. But they are just fine. Don't believe the rated output though. Most receivers will say xxx by 7 channels but the measurements are done with only one or two channels being driven. I believe that Harmon Kardon rate theirs with all channels driven and you will notice their ratings are half of what a lot of commercial receivers are. Others will chime in on this issue.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler /forum/post/16921911

Any opinions on Yamahas in general?

I have a Yamaha and it does very well. There are some that will bash the brand or any others. But they are just fine. Don't believe the rated output though. Most receivers will say xxx by 7 channels but the measurements are done with only one or two channels being driven. I believe that Harmon Kardon rate theirs with all channels driven and you will notice their ratings are half of what a lot of commercial receivers are. Others will chime in on this issue.

I have a Yamaha RX-V1800 and in a DBT, levels properly matched, you wou;d not be able to tell that this is a mid level receiver. Its driving my entire sauite of PSB Image series speakers and this beast has the power to drive the entire suite to ear bleedign elvels without harshness or strain. Amplifiers in Yamaha's mid priced line are very capable of tremendous out and reserve. No they won't match a power amp but for most aplications, its gots the guts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.