AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1796 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Woohooo! This is great.. I hope ABC in my neck of the woods start broadcasting HD by then. I think they are on the cusp.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was just about to post this. All 64 games in HD? Awesome!

C'mon TWC customers, particularly those in the the West San Fernando Valley: start demanding that ESPN2HD be added to the HD line-up.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes! I have dissed ABC a lot, but now I have to give props, they got something right!

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
That's good news.

AIUI they will all be covered in 1080/50i in Germany, so it will be interesting to see what a 1080/50i to 720/60p conversion looks like - and whether it looks better or worse than the 1080/50i to 1080/60i conversion - and distribution - of NBC's Olympics coverage from the Athens Olympics.

Still too early to say if the BBC (unlikely to be ITV) will be broadcasting World Cup stuff in HD in the UK.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000
That's good news.

AIUI they will all be covered in 1080/50i in Germany, so it will be interesting to see what a 1080/50i to 720/60p conversion looks like - and whether it looks better or worse than the 1080/50i to 1080/60i conversion - and distribution - of NBC's Olympics coverage from the Athens Olympics.

Still too early to say if the BBC (unlikely to be ITV) will be broadcasting World Cup stuff in HD in the UK.

Conversion will be fine. There was nothing wrong with Olympics conversion. All the pixellation was due to NBC network distribution feed running at 22Mbps instead of 45Mbps that other networks use.

Shibasoku converters do a very good job. Even British Open Golf SD upconversion on TNTHD looked good. Not HD but still good quality.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Great, but it would have better if they just bought the announcing from the UK tv stations.

ESPN is very poor at showing sports, they have that nasty scrolling bar on all the time, tacky tacky. Impossible to watch anything on those channels.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMH
Great, but it would have better if they just bought the announcing from the UK tv stations.

ESPN is very poor at showing sports, they have that nasty scrolling bar on all the time, tacky tacky. Impossible to watch anything on those channels.
You may be able to stream the UK Radio commentary from the BBC Radio Five Live website - though goodness only knows how far out of sync it will be!

In the UK FiveLive commentary is sometimes available as a separate commentary option on TV coverage of football matches, via the BBCi interactive TV service.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyboy
This is fantastic! With the USA winning tonight and the news of D* getting ESPN2 HD I am a happy man.
I am not happy about the US win...their offense has looked horrible, you cannot get 3-4 one on one breaks with the keeper and not score. They played the whole second half a man up (until the last few minutes) and could not score another goal against T&T at home? Not good. If the US offense plays like this in the WC, they will be 3 and out. How many shots were right at the keeper? Yes they lead the group in goals scored, but if there finishing was there, they win last night by at least 5 goals. I give the offense a C since they did get chances, finishing and crosses were weak though, Ralston had a horrible game...Steve you got to cross the ball in the air more often, not a low one in the box with 10 guys there! Defense an A+.

By the way, that's one goal for the US in their last two games...remember they tied Panama 0-0 in the Gold Cup final also on US soil.

As for all the games in HD, YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Soccer is unwatchable now in SD. Often the DC united games are on 3 channels simultaniously. (gotta love no blackouts for MLS). HDNet will have the game in HD, Fox Soccer Channel will have it in SD, and then our local RSN will have it in SD (and sometimes HD too). Bouncing around between the three channels, the HD and SD games are night and day different.

1 - 20 of 1796 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.