AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't we wish there are positive articles like this in the U.S. ??

Article from Fifaworldcup.com:

JAWOC staffers and volunteers working at the FIFA World Cupâ„¢ International Broadcast Center in Yokohama, just a few kilometers from the stadium hosting the Japan v. Russia match were able to get the next best thing to being there, “Satellite Stadium.â€

This technology demonstration project, realized through collaboration between government agencies and private firms in Korea and Japan, uses a high-speed satellite and fiber optic network to send images from ultra-high-resolution HDTV cameras that have been installed at two stadiums each in Japan and Korea.

Satellite Stadium is a step -- make that several steps -- beyond ordinary HDTV, which in itself looks far better than regular TV. The Satellite Stadium uses three cameras to capture the entire width of the football pitch and a good chunk of the stands behind the goals, then blends them seamlessly into a single image projected onto an ultra-wide screen about thirty feet wide by six feet tall.

Not only is image incredibly clear, but there are no cuts, no pans, no close-ups: just the whole field before your eyes at every moment. Early in the evening of June 9th, most of those eyes are foreign journalists watching the closing minutes of an entertaining Turkey-Costa Rica clash from Incheon. The hundreds of kilometers of ocean and mountains between the stadium and the studio might as well not exist: the 3-D surround sound allows your ear to pick out exactly which sections of the stadium are using drums and which are banging pots.

As the match draws to its exciting close, more and more Japanese staff and volunteers begin to drift in anticipation of the next match. A few minutes after the final whistle, the feed suddenly switches over from emptying Incheon to crackling Yokohama, where the roar of the crowd rolls out from huge speakers at all four corners of the satellite stadium as the team warm-ups unfold in lifelike detail on the mega-wide, crystal-clear screen.

At half-time of the Japan and Russia match, volunteer Kiyotoshi Ohta assesses the first-half mega-screen football experience, "It is certainly as close as you can get to actually being in the stadium. A lot of volunteers planned to hang around here so they wouldn't miss the start of the match as they commuted home."

After Japan’s first victory in a FIFA World Cup finals, Tomoko Yamamoto is crying with joy and hugging her friends, "It was the best! The best! For Japan's last match, my company threw a party, and we had free beer, a big screen TV, everything! But this was so much better! It was just like being at the stadium!"

As the fans prance away happily, Hisashi Yamamoto is also beaming, but not just with pride in his country: he's the man behind the Satellite Stadium, an employee of Japanese electronic giant JVC, the FIFA World Cup Official Partner that developed much of the cutting-edge technology that makes it possible.

"The human eye is essentially a horizontal viewing device. That's why the huge increase in width of this system makes such a difference, particularly for sports events. And of course the all-digital clarity and brightness help provide that sense of live presence you can't get with any other viewing technology."

It certainly made the difference for the fortunate Japanese fans who were able to feel as if Japan's historic victory was unfolding before their very eyes. The satellite stadium, by bringing the sounds and images of the real stadium to them, helped them create their own stadium atmosphere in an improbable locale.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Truly beautiful! :) I wonder how detailed the field and players show up on that size screen. You know, just wondering how small everything is considering the enormous length of the entire field plus stands. Still, must be quite a sight.

I'd be thrilled with just a regular HD soccer broadcast at this point. Sometimes we get to see first hand why the Japanese are just plainly ahead of us in certain things. The same can be said for the Europeans (although the EC won't fly, trust me on this one :D)

Cheers,

Luca

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Gotta find someone who can pick up NHK to get me some snapshots. :)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I can tell you from viewing 3 games in "regular" HDTV in Japan that soccer is a wonderful sport to show off this technology!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by briandx
I can tell you from viewing 3 games in "regular" HDTV in Japan that soccer is a wonderful sport to show off this technology!
you're just asking for a stern beating

·
Registered
760 Posts
OK Jaehong, I'm crying now! There!!! Are you happy now? ;)

Thanks for the pics of the Italian side playing. One word on soccer in HD: TRULY AMAZING! (well that's really two words, isn't it...)

Luca

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTV888
After Japan’s first victory in a FIFA World Cup finals, Tomoko Yamamoto is crying with joy and hugging her friends, "It was the best! The best! For Japan's last match, my company threw a party, and we had, free beer, a big screen TV, everything! But this was so much better! It was just like being at the stadium!"
Better than free beer.

I just had to quote that.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I wish Mark Cuban can at least buy one or two most exciting HD games after this is all over and show them on HDNet. That way even those who consider watching soccer the equivalent of watching paint dry may change their minds:)

Watch paint dry, right, and you call yourself a sports fan?

·
Registered
760 Posts
jacmyoung,

I am Italian. Been living here in the US for 18 years now. I love this country. It is a great country to live in. But sometimes I wonder if Americans in general know what a cultural, socially important event soccer is around the entire globe. Truly THE number one sport by a long shot. Much bigger than even the Olympics. And certainly much much bigger than any of the US popular sports, like football, baseball and basketball. Then again, what do you expect from a country that calls "World Champions" the winners of its individual sports Leagues. Embarrassing just to claim so.

Luca

·
Registered
760 Posts
CKNA,

I was trying to make a point that even the Europeans have a less pragmatic, bureaucratically correct, more practical way of looking at things, without beating around the bush too much like we often find ourselves doing here in the US. Then again, we can probably thank our rampant Lobby Industry, and our increasingly litigious, conservatively uptight society for much of that!

cheers,

Luca

PS. Italy has recently announced that they will convert to HDTV in the near future. Plans are already in the works in Congress.

·
Registered
760 Posts
jacmyoung,

I am Italian. Been living here in the US for 18 years now. I love this country. It is a great country to live in. But sometimes I wonder if Americans in general know what a cultural, socially important event soccer is around the entire globe. Truly THE number one sport by a long shot. Much bigger than even the Olympics. And certainly much much bigger than any of the US popular sports, like football, baseball and basketball. Then again, what do you expect from a country that calls "World Champions" the winners of its individual sports Leagues. Embarrassing just to claim so.

Luca

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Instead of getting too much off subject, lets just hope the US soccer team continue to do better so people may warm up to the sport here, if nothing else, may lead us to understand the rest of the world better.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by feldon23
Gotta find someone who can pick up NHK to get me some snapshots. :)
Hey Feldon:

Here's the someone from Korea with the snapshots, thanks to Jaehong Lee:

You must see this HD snap shot in

http://www.dvdprime.com/board/viewb...&keyfield=&key=

They are watching a 30 feet x 6 feet HDTV panorama, we are watching a 4x3 NTSC stretched to 16x9 at Best Buy. You think we'll ever catch up??

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
HDTV888,

That URL doesn't go anywhere.

There's a posting 2 pages up to snapshots, but they are not even NTSC resolution so it's hard to tell the difference. Maybe someone has 1920x1080 snapshots of NHK? I'd like to set up an NHK section to my website.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTV888

Satellite Stadium is a step -- make that several steps -- beyond ordinary HDTV, which in itself looks far better than regular TV. The Satellite Stadium uses three cameras to capture the entire width of the football pitch and a good chunk of the stands behind the goals, then blends them seamlessly into a single image projected onto an ultra-wide screen about thirty feet wide by six feet tall.

Not only is image incredibly clear, but there are no cuts, no pans, no close-ups: just the whole field before your eyes at every moment. Early in the evening of June 9th, most of those eyes are foreign journalists watching the closing minutes of an entertaining Turkey-Costa Rica clash from Incheon. The hundreds of kilometers of ocean and mountains between the stadium and the studio might as well not exist: the 3-D surround sound allows your ear to pick out exactly which sections of the stadium are using drums and which are banging pots.
WOW! WOW! WOW! What a great idea. 3 HDTV tiles arrayed! All I can say is WOW!

I'd bet (a lot) NTT is somehow involved with this. I'd also bet (a little) an SGI Onyx is in the mix.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by feldon23

That URL doesn't go anywhere.

There's a posting 2 pages up to snapshots, but they are not even NTSC resolution so it's hard to tell the difference. Maybe someone has 1920x1080 snapshots of NHK? I'd like to set up an NHK section to my website.
Hi Feldon:

You are right, clicking on my post doesn't work. But if you click on Jaehong Lee's post (about 9 posts up), you'll get through to the nice snapshots. Don't understand why this "exact" copy doesn't work. By the way, those are really nice snapshots.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
They're nice snapshots, they're just too small.

What good are 1920 x 1080 HDTV snapshots if they are presented at less-than-NTSC resolutions on a website? :(

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.