AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Its been a while since I've posted here since I mostly use my D* HD-DVR's, but I still use the UTVs occassionally....which brings me to my question.

Did any of you set your UTVs to record Wednesday's WS Game 5 (resumed in 6th inning)?

If so, did you set up the game as a single recording (go to the guide and hit 'record' once) or as a series record?

On my HD-DVR's, I used the guide on Wednesday morning to set that night's game to record. At some point during the day, the guide info was updated (changing the description & timeslot) to reflect that it would be a resumption of game 5.

Well, I get home and find that the DVR didn't start recording. The flimsy history entry showed "recording canceled because program is no longer available". Yet, when I tuned to FOX and hit the record button and checked back in history, the SAME entry now had two notations in it: the first saying recording canceled due to unavailable program and the second saying that the record was done manually at xx:xxpm.

Obviously strange behavior that I don't recall my UTV ever doing -- even if the guide info changed at the last minute. Am I recalling wrong on this?

On other forums dealing with D*, this was explained away that this was a different program (the resumed game), so of course the DVR wouldn't record it. The solution proposed was to use a 'series link' so that any/all games are recorded even if they are moved in the guide. I just don't remember having to do that on UTV.

Anybody have any issues with their recording of that game?

TIA.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Didn't record the World Series with my UTV... But I have had instances were a Guide Info. change results in a program not recording properly.

Your history Log's "recording canceled because program is no longer available" entry should state what program was actually airing during the time slot (World Series "Resumed" edition).

For programs that might "change" it might be best to use "generic" keywords in your recording options. So an Auto Record of "World Series" might have been a good catch all. Of coarse who ever expects a program to change names... I seem to recall several local/national news programs changing their names (NBC NEWS with Brian Williams/ CBS News with Katie Couric, TMJ4 live at 4 with...) which resulted in some issues for me...

Also while not ideal setting up a Manual Recording would probably be the only way to avoid Guide Data screwing up a scheduled recording.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave /forum/post/14983192

Didn't record the World Series with my UTV... But I have had instances were a Guide Info. change results in a program not recording properly.

Your history Log's "recording canceled because program is no longer available" entry should state what program was actually airing during the time slot (World Series "Resumed" edition).

For programs that might "change" it might be best to use "generic" keywords in your recording options. So an Auto Record of "World Series" might have been a good catch all. Of coarse who ever expects a program to change names... I seem to recall several local/national news programs changing their names (NBC NEWS with Brian Williams/ CBS News with Katie Couric, TMJ4 live at 4 with...) which resulted in some issues for me...

Also while not ideal setting up a Manual Recording would probably be the only way to avoid Guide Data screwing up a scheduled recording.

Yep, the auto-record (or series link) has been suggested as the workaround.

But there is something totally fishy with the "history" on D*'s HD-DVR's. Its not a true history like the UTV. Each program that is recorded has only 1 entry that doesn't capture useful information. Example: if I record Program A on Monday, then watch/erase it on Friday, there will be only 1 entry for Program A in the history. And it will be timestamped with the original time/date (Monday). The notation inside history will only say "program deleted by user". No timestamp. Not real useful if you want to look in history to see if you erased something yesterday. You have to remember the date when you recorded it -- even if it was days or weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Ok,

I guess I didn't really catch that the problem was with the DTV DVR...

The history log seemed near what UTV uses so I figured it (the UTV) would leave some clues...

Hopefully someone who actually recorded WS Game 5 "Resumed" can clue us in on UTV's ability to record "changed" programs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts