AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be crazy, but I think Fox has made a change to their World Series presentation that benefits widescreen viewers.

I watch my Tosh 65H80 in theaterwide mode. It cuts off the tops and sides a bit, but doesn't distort the picture. While watching the series a few days ago, I noticed that the banner on the top of the screen with score, count, on base visual, etc was slightly cutoff. This would be a normal consequence of watching in theaterwide.

On tonight's game, however, I notice that I can see the full bar! It appears that they have moved the graphic down a hair...which is great! Anybody else notice this, or am I crazy???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah...sorry to burst your bubble....but I watch the game today in Seattle...KCPQ and the upper screen bugs were still cutoff and not visble.....maybe just a small portion of the diamon bug...nothing else. It was defiantely still chopped.

But the interesting thing is even in this configuration...the image quality looks 10 times better than either DirectTV broadcasts or cable TV.....no comparision.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sbaset
Yeah...sorry to burst your bubble....but I watch the game today in Seattle...KCPQ and the upper screen bugs were still cutoff and not visble.....maybe just a small portion of the diamon bug...nothing else. It was defiantely still chopped.

But the interesting thing is even in this configuration...the image quality looks 10 times better than either DirectTV broadcasts or cable TV.....no comparision.
I see just the opposite in Colorado. I did a comparison between my fox OTA digital station and my fox on DirecTv, and the PQ is just about the same. However, the OTA picture was chopped and (to me) unwatchable, so I watched on DTV.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I saw nothing optimized in the KTVU broadcast here in the SF Bay area.

It was plain old 3:4 480i de-interlaced to 480p. It looked a little better than the OTA analog, but not much.

Unfortunately, this is probably the same we can expect for the Super Bowl.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This Broadcast is much better than Dss. That doesn't mean it was good. As everyone agrees, Fox bites!

I have two Sat set-ups, one through my Tu-hds20 and the other from a standard RCA ird through an Iscan V2. The OTA still was clearer on my Panny 65wx50. BTW, did you notice they were able to stick their logo on the black side bars as opposed to the picture?

Gebstr83

·
Registered
42 Posts
In Chicago, we have had baseball and football broadcasts two different ways. One way has the top and bottom cropped to fit 16:9. The other way has black bars on the sides, without cropping. Last night, it was black bars. I get better results, generally, this way, than trying to manipulate the cropped signal.

With the cropped version, between the Dish 6000 and Pioneer Elite, there is too much overscan and the graphics are lost, unless I set the 6000 to SD and let the Elite (Cinema Wide is best) adjust it. In this case, there is actually some underscan, with a small amount of black on all 4 sides, but the picture is vertically squashed a bit too much for me.

With the uncropped broadcast, I get black bars on the side of the picture, but the graphics are there and the horizontal and vertical perspective is correct. I much prefer this.

For some reason the Chicago broadcasters seem to like the cropped 16:9 format. CBSHD from New York leaves 4:3 material with the black bars.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It seems everyone in this thread is completely off topic.

To answer the original poster's question: Yes, I noticed it too. They moved the bar at the top down a bit so that it doesn't get cropped when zoomed. I imagine this was in response to their DT stations. Out here, they zoom and crop the picture to 14x9 on the digital station, which would have taken off part of the bar.

Brian

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BrianBHD...that is exactly what I meant. It isn't a big deal or anything, but it still appears to be a conscious decision to take action to enhance the experience for widescreen viewers.

Again, not a big deal, but these are the baby steps that suggest that networks are paying attention to the widescreen & HDTV market (maybe :) Same thing goes for some of the new letterboxed programming...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianBHD
It seems everyone in this thread is completely off topic.

To answer the original poster's question: Yes, I noticed it too. They moved the bar at the top down a bit so that it doesn't get cropped when zoomed. I imagine this was in response to their DT stations. Out here, they zoom and crop the picture to 14x9 on the digital station, which would have taken off part of the bar.

Brian
Here in NY I didn't see any "optimized broadcast" as even a partial zoom on my Dish 6000 receiver would cut off the top score bar. Instead, I watched in "stretched mode" and watched those fat Yankees get even fatter!.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.