AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that I should post my experience with Worldcassplasma-dot-com for all of you guys (and gals) to see. Below is a letter that I wrote after I canceled my order for the Sharp LC-37G4U. It pretty much summarizes my experience with these guys :mad: . Has anyone else had similar experiences with World Class Plasma or any other unknown website vendor?

--tb

To whom it may concern,

I feel that I must express my extreme dissatisfaction with World Class Plasma. I completed a purchase on the website for a Sharp Aquos 37g4u LCD display, stated as brand new with 1 year manufacturers warranty. My receipt stated shipping charges of $259. When I spoke to customer representatives (Jason at extension 110 and Elliott at 108), I found out at the very last minute about 2 false statements on the website, which I believe to be fraudulent and unacceptable. Firstly, the $144 additional shipping charge should have been on my receipt. Secondly, and more disturbing, is that I learned that this "brand new" product is actually factory reconditioned/open box, and only comes with a 90-day warranty. I have since cancelled my order, and will make sure that any internet search for "world class plasma" or the like returns a copy of this letter. I strongly suggest that you correct these discrepancies on your website, as educated buyers will not put up with these.

Regards,

--Tyler

·
Registered
42 Posts
No offence, but why would you ever think of purchasing something over the web without first checking at www.resellerratings.com? Skip any of the reviews on pricegrabber for the most part. Even awful stores seem to get 3 - 4 / 5 on that site (although worldclassplasma.com has one "Hey it was great review" and one that mentions the refurb issue that you found.

resellerratings is your friend...

·
Registered
493 Posts
I agree with pdub. I would never, ever buy a big ticket item from an online vendor prior to checking their history at resellerrating.com. One should also pay close attention to the vendors most recent history, because some may have a downhill rating. Even then, I would depend heavily on the opinions of knowledgeable and helpful folks in forums such as this one before taking the plunge.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link, pdub. Unfortunately, worldclassplasma, along with many other small internet retailers, isn't listed on that site. I did dig a little deeper and find some bad reviews, but they were hard to come by, and I didn't find them until today. I guess I wanted the TV so bad I was willing to at least try wcp.

I have used unknown sites for cameras and refurb A/V before with no problems. I just happen to value product quality way above customer service (read: take my chances to get a better quality product for the same price.) I would rather have a quality product that took 3 weeks to get there than being stuck getting something lesser for the same price. But when they try to rip me off, that's when I cancel.

I found a similar price at bigondigital, but that site had horrible reviews. Plus, when I called them to inquire about the TV, I got disconnected. I guess it's back to the drawing board, since I can't spend $3000 for a TV. :rolleyes: Anyone know when the benQ 3750 is coming out? (or want to sell me your Sharp 37g4u for $2400? :eek: )

Any experience with refurbished sharp Aquos?

Thanks,

--tb

·
Registered
1 Posts
I absolutely agree.

World Class Plasma is fraud.

I ordered a plasma tv, "brand new factory sealed", 3-5 days shipping, $$$$.

One month and 7 phone calls, and a couple of arguments later, I got the tv. A refurbished tv, with scratches, a 90 day warranty, and an extra $121 in hidden shipping charges that did not appear at all, no mention of whatsoever, during the checkout process.

I was hung up on by world class plasma, and during another phone call they told me that they buy their tvs from dealers that go out of business and have to open the boxes to inspect the products, so thats what makes them refurbished. When I asked about the scratches he just said its not refurbished. BULLS---.

tylerb you can always file a complaint with the better business bureau when thing slike this happen. They can try to help resolve the matter. The more complaints, the worse off World Class Plasma (also doing business as like 5 other companies) will be.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
It's deja vu once again.... this is why I always purchase major electronics and the like from local retailers. Yup, I pay more, but it's not that much more... and what is peace of mind worth???? :rolleyes:

I know, I know, many have happy endings with their purchase from online retailers. Good deal, but I'll stay with Sears or whatever! :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here's Internet shopping rule #1, NEVER buy anything from BROOKLYN.

Seriously, if you can't find out where they are from based on there website; they are probably from Brooklyn. You can usually find out where they are from by googleing the website name and "location". And of course always check reseller ratings and google the website name and "fraud", "complaints", "scam", etc.

FYI here is WorldClassPlasma:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0193.htm

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrip
Here's Internet shopping rule #1, NEVER buy anything from BROOKLYN...
More like "CROOK-LYN". ;)

ATTENTION: The New Domain for BruZZi's Plasma FAQ is www.bruzzi.ws

If you have a direct link to the site please uptade to the new Domain Name.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey
It's deja vu once again.... this is why I always purchase major electronics and the like from local retailers. Yup, I pay more, but it's not that much more... and what is peace of mind worth???? :rolleyes:

I know, I know, many have happy endings with their purchase from online retailers. Good deal, but I'll stay with Sears or whatever! :D
Just because a retailer has a B&M store doesn't necessarily guaranty happy endings. Like may other AVS posters, I have had a number of negative experiences with the likes of BB, CC, and even some higher end retailers - Just yesterday for example.

That said, I have also had some very negative experiences with internet retailers. But overall, the vast majority of my experiences with companies like Buy.com, 6th Ave, Amazon, Tiger direct, J&R, Beach Camera, etc, etc have been very positive. For the most part, I have received good value and good service. It is unfortunate that a few sleazy operators spoil it for the entire group.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks
How is brandnamz.com? They are a NY operation.

IB
Well, they're not in Brooklyn so that's good. But I googled "brandnamez review" and every review sight had a majority of negative reviews. Not enough evidence to crucify them as a scam shop, but I wouldn't do business with them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
LOL, when i was looking for the plasma i wanted to buy, i came across something named Dr. Plasma or something, and found that it was in brooklyn. The price was good, BUT, it just so happens that it was located 4 blocks away from my house. I then asked myself, i don't remember seeing a electronic store around there. So i decided to walk there myself and found that it was a residential address right in the middle of stores and restaurant. Go figure.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Do your homework and you risk nothing buying via internet.

Brooklyn and Coney Island is rampant with jerk-offs waiting for suckers but plenty of resources exist to do a little homework and save alot of money. Not all NY Dealers are rip-offs BTW. J&R is perfectly fine as I've bought from them for years. Other on-line safe and quality sites include Onecall and Vann's to mention a few. When I bought my 45" Sharp via Onecall my savings were $1100 less than Costco and I'll gladly pocket that difference.

I spent several years in my past as a fraud investigator and work as a Purchasing & IT Manager and know where to look and tons of resources exist on the web to do your homework including this forum. Ripoff template websites that mirror one another are rampant but qualifying a vendor for your business is imperative.

The difference is I am watching a 32" LCD FP and a Bello Stand for my Sharp 45" for free with the money I saved buying via legitimate Internet Vendors - so go ahead and pay gravy to a B&M needlessly when a little homework equals big rewards. Post your Vendor here first and use resellerratings and google it and BBB, Hoovers and Whois search to find source of internet dealer to mention a few.

All it takes is patience and a little research and only about enough time that any of us may have spent in one evening doing a College Paper. The other option is laziness with the result of throwing money out the window. We have a few hundred thousand members to swarm to your requests and warn of Bozo Dealers waiting to snare any of us. Post here and do your homework and the rewards can be big - plus if you look at the top of the page here this forum is loaded with sponsors with a positive track record - they'd get ripped on this forum if they didn't and believe me if they make a mistake you'll see it posted here.

Are you telling us the Forum Sponsors aren't safe? :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Would someone please explain why I should trust resellerratings.com. None of the forum sponsors are rated under either Pioneer or Panasonic plasma TVs, and many of the reviews that I do see for other vendors look highly suspicious. I've also seen very high ratings for some of the sleaziest camera vendors in the nation. It would appear that the temptation for vendors to plant reviews on such rating services would be so great as to assure that all of them are contaminated to some extent. Does anyone have any inside poop on this issue?

I personally find this forum to be the best way to check out a Flat Panel vendor as you get enough of the good and bad to make a pretty good judgment over time. So far it has been right on target for me.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
my advice would be read the reviews

usually

"so&so was great" as a review means a plant

if the review on the otherhand, states what was purchased, the experience both with delivery and condition of product, this usually is a legit review

I have done this many times when first buying items over the internet

the more you read, the easier it is to pick up on the plants bad grammar and horrible spelling

or otherwise lame reviews

the rating, you are correct cannot always be trusted

also I think all the forum sponsors are respectable dealers

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
To me the code words that identify a planted review are, they were great, they had everything I wanted, it was on my doorstep the next day, I would use them for all my needs in the future.

Often they will mention a common scam and point out how this dealer doesn't do that.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It's good to know that others take the reseller ratings with a grain of salt as well. I expect that the practice of planting reviews is so wide spread that we may have a forum members who have witnessed it from the inside. It would be nice to hear from one of them.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Yup, unfortunately you can't rely on Reseller Ratings anymore. Lots of bogus reviews.

ATTENTION: The New Domain for BruZZi's Plasma FAQ is www.bruzzi.ws

If you have a direct link to the site please uptade to the new Domain Name.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969
Do your homework and you risk nothing buying via internet.

Brooklyn and Coney Island is rampant with jerk-offs waiting for suckers but plenty of resources exist to do a little homework and save alot of money. Not all NY Dealers are rip-offs BTW. J&R is perfectly fine as I've bought from them for years. Other on-line safe and quality sites include Onecall and Vann's to mention a few. When I bought my 45" Sharp via Onecall my savings were $1100 less than Costco and I'll gladly pocket that difference.

I spent several years in my past as a fraud investigator and work as a Purchasing & IT Manager and know where to look and tons of resources exist on the web to do your homework including this forum. Ripoff template websites that mirror one another are rampant but qualifying a vendor for your business is imperative.

The difference is I am watching a 32" LCD FP and a Bello Stand for my Sharp 45" for free with the money I saved buying via legitimate Internet Vendors - so go ahead and pay gravy to a B&M needlessly when a little homework equals big rewards. Post your Vendor here first and use resellerratings and google it and BBB, Hoovers and Whois search to find source of internet dealer to mention a few.

All it takes is patience and a little research and only about enough time that any of us may have spent in one evening doing a College Paper. The other option is laziness with the result of throwing money out the window. We have a few hundred thousand members to swarm to your requests and warn of Bozo Dealers waiting to snare any of us. Post here and do your homework and the rewards can be big - plus if you look at the top of the page here this forum is loaded with sponsors with a positive track record - they'd get ripped on this forum if they didn't and believe me if they make a mistake you'll see it posted here.

Are you telling us the Forum Sponsors aren't safe? :)

I don't think that's what he said (the OP)....

yes, the forum sponsors are for the most part extremely good, and very reliable with good customer service!

yes, onecall, J&R, and many others have consistently delivered the goods, at excellent prices.

HOWEVER, the example you gave is a little unfair....when you walk over to a Tweeter or Magnolia (or high end store, not your local BB or CC), and you see the msrp posted, with a little research, some phone calls (competition is a beautiful thing ;) ), and some persuasive bargaining skills, you can match or beat internet prices, right there on your own town!

with the exception of internet only brands of speakers (Swans, SVS,etc), most of my "electronics" purchases (Receivers, TV's, furniture, DVD players, you name it) have been purchased thru my local Tweeter....I goto these forums, other local dealers, google, etc, etc, and try to get the best prices I can possibly get, and go from there........and usually I'm within $100-$200 of the best prices anyone has ever posted on those items! (latest example: SXRD 60" and Pioneer Elite 1130).

You are right on not all internet sales are equal.....some are flat out fantastic. But you just can't make a blanket statement that you "enjoy your savings" because you didn't buy at your local store.....is up to the individual to make it happen. :)

cheers...

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrip
Here's Internet shopping rule #1, NEVER buy anything from BROOKLYN.

]

Ah Crap! Now you tell me, right after I prepaid for the Bridge, and you would not believe how much I was charged for shipping and handling. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.