AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,503 Posts
Man, imagine taking a display that can be had for around $7,500 (Panasonic) and adding over $12,000 of value! Wowee! Runco's re-badging technology must be truly magical.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hmm.... Interesting report, although it sounded more like a pay advertisement for Runco. Now let's ask ourselves, who's willing to blow away $20K on a Panasonic rebadged with some "mumbo jumbo" DHD mathematics formula than an automobile? Can you notice a huge difference in PQ between the "inferior" Fujitsu or Hitachi or even the 65" Panasonic sets? is it night and day difference? If the answer is yes, then the price is justified, although I rather get the Corolla instead.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Regardless, the product obviously made the reporter sick to his pants over the video presentation.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Man, sounds like that reporter has a serious case of p*enis envy.

·
Registered
15,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/0

Runco, like most manufacturers of flat panel displays, buys their glass from the same limited sources and then builds their own units and engineers their own electronics.

Indeed. But most manufacturers don't up-charge a gazzillion dollars for it over the competition.

The year after I bought my 42" Panasonic ED plasma - the 4UY version - Runco came out with a 42" ED plasma. It was my exact plasma - the 4UY - but "Runcoized" and included an outboard media box/scaler - purportedly the magic difference between my off-the-shelf

ED plasma. The runco salesman insisted that if I was really serious about video quality it was actually worth trading in my off-the-shelf model and upgrading to the Runco. He insisted Runco did things to the display that ensured I simply couldln't get that type of picture out of a mere, cheapo Panny.

I tested it out, as it had been ISF calibrated (like my own plasma) with lots of familiar DVD material.

It looked very good, and not particularly different from what I saw at home, except that I felt I was getting an even better image at home (with even less picture noise!).

My Canadian cost for my off-the-shelf Panasonic back then: a whopping $8,000!

Runco's Canadian price for their 42" ED plasma...(repeating....42" ED plasma!]....a mere $26,000!!!! (not a typo).

Since then I've seen most of Runco's flat panels, based upon displays I'm very familiar with. A while back their 43" version of the Pioneer plasma was quite good. But at the outrageous cost increase over the competition? Not for all the marketing hype in the world. But, hey, there's a clientele for this stuff....it just seems this is a classic case of keeping price high on "perceived value" grounds.

I did see a very nice fairly low-cost DLP projector from Runco that quite impressed me. However, I was never able to see the unit on which they based that display for comparison.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.