AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Thanks for the news.

JVC was indeed planning on releasing this D-ILA RPTV with DHCP encryption, and it seems the domestic release was delayed to move the input encryption to HDCP.

At the original annouced price of $6995 with street prices estimated at under $5K it looked like a promising RPTV. But with the prospect of much higher pricing AND introducing this new non-compatible encryption technology I would be surprised to see ANY of these units selling.

-Dean.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Jeff,

Nope. It does not support a browser front end but it works fine with a telnet client!

--Jerome

·
Registered
855 Posts
Dean - According to "The Micro-Display Report" the delays and price increases are caused by LOW YIELDS in the LCoS panels.

By the way, the prototype for this RPTV was shown at the 1999 Japan Electronics Show and, three months later, at the 2000 CES. At those shows, it was promised for February 2000. It is STILL not shipping in quantities.

------------------

Huck

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Press release from Silicon Image:

"today debuted its new SiI 905 PanelLink® monitor controller with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). The SiI 905 has been incorporated in JVC's (Wayne, NJ) state-of-the-art 61" D'Ahlia rear-projection HDTV monitor-the industry's first HDTV capable of receiving digital content protected by HDCP. Eagerly anticipated since its debut at CES 2001, the D'Ahlia (AV-61S902) is now shipping to select retailers nationwide."

See this and other propaganda touting the benefits of HDCP here: http://www.siimage.com/press/08_07_01.asp

------------------

9" liquid-cooled Sony that no one can identify!

HTPC: 650MHz PIII w/ All-In-Wonder Radeon

Systems Engineer - Graphics and Video
www.AcquiredPerformance.com

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bluedevils:
you might want to change the title to hdcp
Yeh, Yeh, that's what I get for trying to fix the ALL CAPS CUT AND PASTE. Felt a little lexicdys yesterday.

How do I change the title of a topic??

------------------

9" liquid-cooled Sony that no one can identify!

HTPC: 650MHz PIII w/ All-In-Wonder Radeon

Systems Engineer - Graphics and Video www.AcquiredPerformance.com

[This message has been edited by SThieret (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
DHCP Hehehe....Ok OK guys, I guess that you can tell that I had WORK on my mind. Oops http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Huck,

Yeah, I had originally heard JVC state that the domestic (Japanese) market demand was so high that they didn't have enough models to export (Is that a merketing line, or what?), and then I heard that there were yield problems as well.

But I think that the biggest issue was that the moment that JVC formally announced their HDCP encrypted D-VHS VCR and the correspondingly outfitted D'Ahlia RPTV that there was a great backlash on the internet as they were the first to offer support for the new encryption technologies, and some people suggested boycotting JVC products (and possibly using tar and feathers).

Then JVC's next D-Ahlia product announcement said that they were not set on absolutely using HDCP, and would adapt to the encryption connection technology that the industry was supporting (which now looks to be towards DTCP).

Other than JVC's press release promo (now months old), I can't find these units available locally (to see), or online

to buy (not that I would), but the list price did hike up to $12,999, so they are likely to sell as many of these as Panasonic did of their comparably priced DLP RPTVs.

-Dean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.