Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.displaysearch.com/press/?id=391

"Plasma TV shipments reached a record high of 1.13M units in Q2'05, up 24% Q/Q and 89% Y/Y according to DisplaySearch's Quarterly Global TV Shipment and Forecast Report. Plasma TVs gained share in all regions and overtook rear projection TVs (RPTVs) for the first time in China and ROW on a unit basis. As a result, plasma TVs overtook RPTVs worldwide with a 2.9% unit share, up from 2.0% in Q1'05. Conversely, the RPTV market fell from 2.9% in Q1'05 to 2.5% in Q2'05 on a 27% Q/Q and 17% Y/Y decline. Plasma TVs now lead RPTVs in all regions except North America where the penetration of 50" and larger TVs remains higher than the rest of the world favoring lower priced RPTVs."

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
And here Sony puts all their eggs in the RP basket. No wonder they are losing money hand over fist.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I am not surpised. I just spent three weeks in Europe and went to as many stores I could find like B&O, Kaduwe in Berlin, Harrods in London, Fona in Copenhagen and the like. There was plasmas and LCD's everywhere, with plasmas the most prevelent by far in the larger sizes. And this is without any HD being available although the 50" LG at Harrods did have an HD loop off a hard drive which was really blowing people away.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
So much for the naysayers preaching doom and gloom for plasmas' future. ;)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The numbers are going to continue to soar for plasmas for Q3 and Q4. I would not be surprised to see plasma overtake RPTV even in N. Amer in Q4.

Meantime, next year, plasmas will outsell RPTVs by almost 2:1.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Fortunately, in order to achieve this excessive growth, plasma manufacturers need to continue to drop prices further and further. Good for us...

:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.