AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know where else to post, but I thought everyone should know that I just intercepted a Kluz Worm (however it's spelled) in a SPAM email. My first worm found ever, I think.

In cause you're not familiar, worms can steal your address book and spam all your friends and contacts by posing as you.

So make sure your AV software is up to date and toggled ON.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I just checked my email for the first time today, out of 9 received emails, 6 were Klez infected. I'm about to set up yet another Outlook rule to autometically delete all incoming email containing attachments.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew somebody would say they never really left, but in all these years it is the first one I know of receiving for sure. Though it is possible I had one before and never knew it.

I guess what most bothers me about bugs and viruses today is that it is a bigger pain than ever to reload your HD. From Win98 back I used to load all programs and data on a different drive or partition. But with XP, many programs prefer to reside in the Windows partition. And with the larger hard drives we have, that means all the more data to have to restore!

Fortunately, there are more ways to backup data. But it is always a pain - regardless!

I don't know if there's any connection...I've not seen anything on the news about it, but for several hours today I had trouble getting into Hotmail and quite a few other sites. At least a dozen that I know of that were up and down. And this weekend RR was up and down, for me.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably unrelated, but I tried to switch my long distance carrier recently and they claim their system has some kind of bug and it could take up to 3 days! Normally, they process orders in only a few hours.

Remember when the last widespread bug hit? Even MS got nailed. They looked silly for having spent all kinds of money on equipment, but chose not to pay just a little more to make sure all their servers had a simple router, which would have protected them. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I use Mailwasher as a first line of defense. It allows you to view just about everything except the body of your email messages straight off the server, and delete them from there as well if you choose. I always get rid of obvious spam, which eliminates a pretty big source of viruses, as the OP alludes.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by imdoug
I use Mailwasher as a first line of defense.
I tried that, but mainly to try to make the spammers think the address was bad. But because most had forged headers, the mail would not go back to them. It is an interesting concept, but I removed the program recently.

BTW, in case I didn't mention it I have been getting numerous eBay and Paypal spoofed messages.

It seems obvious, but I hope everybody knows NOT to use the links in the emails, and to at least report the receipt to the legitimate respective companies. Granted, they probably won't do anything. But they will confirm it the message was really from them. But you can't blame them for not taking action if they are not told there is a problem!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.