AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm worn out. After researching, shopping, looking at everything I came to the conclusion that it is impossible to compare 42" Plasmas. I was kicked in the bu** by Brucer to get some more info and look again. I did it, I read it all.

I'm still confused. Please post your favorite among available models TODAY (old models that have recently been updated are not eligible). Admit that you have a bias because you bought a certain unit and admit that you wish you would have bought a different unit (that's hard, I know!) if necessary.

I'm leaning to the Panny TH-42PWD6UY although I don't really know why! haha

My sources are:

Sony 985V progressive 400 disk changer, DirecTV with HDTV, OTA HDTV antenna, and S-VHS VCR all connecting to a Denon 3803 receiver.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
FAV Model - Fujitsu 50in(P50)

Bought Panny THPWD6UY(Biased!)

Did not want to wait 18 months or so for the 50in to come down in price and for my new house to hold the 50 in.

Bought about 60 days ago - If I had it to do all over again - would probably have bought the NEW panny 50in being released as we speak....Cause I like my plasma so much, I just want it bigger!

Therese

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SRHookEm
I'm worn out. After researching, shopping, looking at everything I came to the conclusion that it is impossible to compare 42" Plasmas. I was kicked in the bu** by Brucer to get some more info and look again. I did it, I read it all.

I'm still confused. Please post your favorite among available models TODAY (old models that have recently been updated are not eligible). Admit that you have a bias because you bought a certain unit and admit that you wish you would have bought a different unit (that's hard, I know!) if necessary.

I'm leaning to the Panny TH-42PWD6UY although I don't really know why! haha

My sources are:

Sony 985V progressive 400 disk changer, DirecTV with HDTV, OTA HDTV antenna, and S-VHS VCR all connecting to a Denon 3803 receiver.
How about a 43"? Size does matter.

Jeff

·
Registered
35 Posts
The only regret in buying my Panny TH42PHD6UY is not considering the 50 incher.

I considered the Pio 433CMX but I'm glad I waited for the new Panny models.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the 42" vs 50" thought. I would love the 50" too. But at $2699 vs $6699 the extra size to price ratio is too high. Is the 8" gained worth $4000?

I don't think so.

I will consider 43" models too.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
IMO, you have these choices for 42" panel:

Panny 42PWD6UY (ED)

Panny 42PHD6UY (HD)

Pio 433CMX (HD)

Fujitsu P42VHA20US (ED)

Fujitsu P42HHA10WS (HD)

You may want to look at NEC and Samsung as well, but I don't have much info or first person info on them. The trout woman would also say BenQ is a nice panel (46" ED). ;)

Anyway, I'm pretty much set on a 50" so my choices at this moment in time are the PHD6UY, 503 and the P50. Leaning toward the panny; however, I'm still thinking about the fact that I view alot of SD which is handled a bit better in ED (subject to debate of course). Also the fact that newer and potentially better technologies (OLED, TFEL, LCD, etc.) are probably only 2 or so years away makes the larger investment in the 50 HD panel a little more risky and the cheaper ED investment attractive.

It's all clear now, right? ;) I'm as worn out as you are...believe me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by goombawa
IMO, you have these choices for 42" panel:

Panny 42PWD6UY (ED)

Panny 42PHD6UY (HD)

Pio 433CMX (HD)

Fujitsu P42VHA20US (ED)

Fujitsu P42HHA10WS (HD)

You may want to look at NEC and Samsung as well, but I don't have much info or first person info on them. The trout woman would also say BenQ is a nice panel (46" ED). ;)

Anyway, I'm pretty much set on a 50" so my choices at this moment in time are the PHD6UY, 503 and the P50. Leaning toward the panny; however, I'm still thinking about the fact that I view alot of SD which is handled a bit better in ED (subject to debate of course). Also the fact that newer and potentially better technologies (OLED, TFEL, LCD, etc.) are probably only 2 or so years away makes the larger investment in the 50 HD panel a little more risky and the cheaper ED investment attractive.

It's all clear now, right? ;) I'm as worn out as you are...believe me.
The Pioneer is 43". You knew that, right?

Jeff

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
You mentioned Direct tv, and if you watch it very much you may want to see Direct tv on the various 42" plasmas. Some do a better job than others. My favorite 42" tv is the Fuji ED. Of all the ones I tried, this was the best in almost every regard. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought the Panny 42PWD6UY (ED) and am very happy with it. I've had it about a month now, and have read the boards a lot.

I have it hooked to:

HTPC via DVI (Nvidia TI4600)

Direct TV HD via VGA (RCA DTC 100)

Direct TV SD via Component (RCA 485RG)

Replay TV via S-Video (Model 4080)

I could use another component input for the Replay. I don't like switching video in a receiver.

My plan is just to expand the HTPC to do PVR recording with the ReplayTV dies.

Anyway, I've read the board since my purchase, and I"ve seen nothing to convince me I made the wrong choice. (If I had, I'd buy a 2nd plasma and move this one to a secondary viewing room).

The Fujis are talked about highly, but cost more $.

DVI with HDCP was an important factor for me. The HD RCA receiver I'm running was given to me for free, and I plan on buying the Sony 300 later this year. I'll connect it to the plasma DVI.

Budget was of concern, I really didn't want to spend more than $3000 on a plasma. As it stands, I have around $3200 in the plasma, the stand, and the DVI card.

I will throw out one factor that I'm not happy with on the Panny right now: Lack of discrete remote control commands for inputs. We've got power on/off and the aspect controls from the 5UY working. But nobody here or on RemoteCentral has found input commands yet. I'm beginning to wonder if they exist.

That would make me mildly unhappy, to read about a comperable plasma I could have bought with full discrets, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker.

Andy

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I would tend to agree adb. I saw a fujitsu (heretofore fuji) ED right next to a fuji p50 (HD) showing HDNet and the salesperson was the only one who thought the p50 was alot sharper. He kept saying, "get close to the ED and you'll see the jagged lines/pixelation". I hard a hard time finding the difference.

In fact, and I've mentioned this before, the ed seemed to have a bit more punch than the p50 as well. Maybe this is attributable to the differences between a 42 and a 50..... yet another reason I'm reconsidering a 42. :(

Have you been able to compare the pwd6uy/pa20U to the fuji ED? I was already prepared to shell out $6K for the 50phd/503cmx, so I can handle the fact that the fuji is probably about $1,500 more than the pwd. Question is is it worth it....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.