AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot has been said about concert recommendations and Ive already bought seven since the thread hit the site.I noticed an awful lot of concerts available but little on them.This thread is to share your purchasing mistakes.Ill start with my guilty pleasure which is Burt bachararach and i got a disc called A Tribute To Burt Bacharach and Hal David from amazon.Its from a concert in england and though it is in widescreen with good pq it has many unknown awful performances of bacharach hits that goes on for over 90 minutes until finally Dionne warwick and elvis costello show up to at least give a little of value to this mistake.the emcee also never shuts up.Unfortunately this is the only Bacharach DVD available.Why no one put the 5 year old One special night american tribute to him on DVD is a mystery since it is available on VHS?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Madonna's Drowned World Tour 2001 is an incredible performance and has good sound too, but the PQ is horrible due to being blurry and out-of-focus throughout the entire show :( I can't understand how or why this is so. (This probably isn't an issue on smaller screens though.)

It's too bad because the performances, lighting, sets, costumes and special effects make this one dazzling, fantastic, over-the-top event. As captured here, Madonna is truly a super-star at the peak of her game... I only wish the DVD had the clarity so I could actually see this grand spectacle.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Prince Sign O' The Times, Brazil import. This INCREDIBLE show is part concert, part performance art, probably the most stunning concert performance I have ever seen.

The audio is horrible however. About on par with AM radio. Its a showstopper.

The video is rough as well, though I could live with the video if they would fix the audio.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Cream Farewell at Prince Albert Hall, Lousy is all I can say for a three/some that had Eric Clapton as one of their bandmembers, it wasn't good at all if I recall. I just liked this one song called "White Room" they used the type of guitars that Iron Butterfly used.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live. The WORST picture quality I've seen on DVD, complete with mastering errors. The DTS audio is so polished in post that it doesn't even sound like a concert anymore. A complete waste of an otherwise excellent concert.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Deep Purple: Total Abandon was putrid in pq, sound and performance- a trifecta. And to think I used to like those guys... :D

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Prince Sign O' The Times, Brazil import. This INCREDIBLE show is part concert, part performance art, probably the most stunning concert performance I have ever seen.
i never bothered with the import as i read reports of how poor it is.I do have a laser disc rip of the movie that is better,but still not up to par for this great concert film.The VHS may be the best bet for now,until whoever

can properly release it on dvd get off his ass.On a good note,Purple Rain will get a proper 25th Anniversary release in august,should be good.Also,the box office/critical bombs "under the cherry moon"and "grafitti bridge"will be released on dvd.

Unfortunatley no word on Sign O' the Times though.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FredProgGH
Deep Purple: Total Abandon was putrid in pq, sound and performance- a trifecta. And to think I used to like those guys... :D
So as it is written, so shall it be done - "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

;)

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveRS
Rush: Live in Rio for worst DD5.1 soundstage
Yea its not that great. But ...one could argue that potting down Getty Lee's mediocre singing is a blessing in disguise. I think i'd rather hear the excellent instrumentation and the crowd.

In fact, Geddy himself probably insisted they turn him down :)

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Yea its not that great. But ...one could argue that potting down Getty Lee's mediocre singing is a blessing in disguise. I think i'd rather hear the excellent instrumentation and the crowd.

In fact, Geddy himself probably insisted they turn him down :)
Everyone has one - I thought it was excellent - have you guys ever seen Rush in concert? Lee's vocals are always turned a bit lower due to his high pitch. I guess it's whatever your personal preference is.

EDIT: After my initial thoughts which I posted, I thought I would give the DVD another listen - this time though I had the TV off, and I sat in my usual listening position and treated the experience as an audio only. I only listened to the first two tracks - Tom Sawyer & Distant Early Warning. SteveRS - it's obvious some opinions have more weight than others, I stand corrected, and can now never enjoy my RIO DVD ever again :( .

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Ive mentioned it before but Elton John's One Night Only concert has fabulous audio....but just terrible PQ. Blurry at some points that make me rub my eyes. I have the silver/yellow cover edition...is the all white cover version any different?

BTW it doesnt say so on the cover but DTS is one of the audio options.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Distorted
So as it is written, so shall it be done - "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

;)
No, I do't think it's that- I just bought ELP's Brain Salad Surgery on DVD-A a while back. :D

·
Registered
907 Posts
Quote:
Timing is everything.. I already bought it :mad:

I have to say, I'll watch it again though. It's awesome to see/hear this band again. I found the mix a real pain with the crowd in the rear channels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.