AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the worst DVD PQ you have ever seen. You know the type - terrible grain, artifacts all over the place, color timing off with no detail in the highlights or shadows.

Please only list one. If there is a consensus for 4 or 5, I will put them up for a vote.

My vote goes to Die Hard with a Vengence. Decent movie, but perhaps the worst DVD I have ever seen. A highly compressed Directv SD movie channel does a better job with PQ. What a piece of krap.

The first two Die Hards weren't that good either.

And they called these "THX" transfers???

·
Registered
463 Posts
Original release of Ran on 4:3 letterbox DVD...Oh the agony!!!!

Just to pour salt on an open wound, the new 16:9 enhanced remaster isn't much better.

When are they going to figure it out???

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Original Spartacus release. 2.35 non-anamorphic, the "blacks" are just noisy greys, whole movie is so blurry that even in closeups you can barely tell who anyone is.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think the worst in my collection is Grease.

Although, The Sound of Music is pretty bad, too.

Hey, the remastered Die Hard "Ultimate Edition" trilogy is supposed to be fixed, right? (Die Hard Five Star, Die Hard 2 SE and Vengeance SE) That's what all the reviews say and they give it high marks for video and sound. They also comment on how bad the last versions were.

At least I hope that's right... I have it on order.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The last Tom Cruise movie - I can't remember the name but the transfer was horrible (or maybe just on the DVD I rented?)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know own over 200 DVDs and the worst picture is with no question

Aliens. It is very grainy. Sound is pretty good but pq is awful

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
As I said before, the worst movie in my collection is The Game. The dark scenes are really grainy and there's pixelation that creates a shimmering effect during some of the early chapters. Yes, I believe it is THX.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by StuJac
The last Tom Cruise movie - I can't remember the name but the transfer was horrible (or maybe just on the DVD I rented?)
If your talking about "Minority Report" the movie was filmed to be grainy on purpose as an artistic decision by Spielberg. Large thread about this a few months ago.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I second the Ran nomination!

I thought it was slightly fishy that the DVD manufacturer was promoting this transfer as "from a high definition source" as this DVD's main allure.

It is not worth a list price of $34.00; nor is the fluttering that dominates this transfer acceptable.

A very sorry state of affairs transfer!

(In my opinion.)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Kalifornia! Con Air!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Re: Aliens & Grease...

Aliens has always been a grainfest, and you should have seen the laserdisc! The DVD is a marked improvement, although I'm looking forward to the new version in Quadrilogy. Surely new encoding and moving extras to another disc will help. It will always be grainy, tho, as that's how the film has always looked.

Grease I saw just this past weekend, and I'll tell you the DVD - with the exception of some edge enhancement and some mpeg compression anomalies in the fence during the "Look At Me Sandra Dee" reprise - is pretty darn good. It's the film element that's the pits, which is sad. On a 92 inch screen, the image was pretty sharp (compared to other soft-looking dvds that have been high frequency filtered to death for ease in encoding), and is a BETTER visual experience than the 1998 re-release in theaters I saw (the print was in even WORSE condition!).

A very disappointing DVD - which looked like garbage once I upgraded to a larger screen - is 12 Monkees:CE. Perfect example of smeared details/high-frequency filtered softness to the point of eye strain! Funny that on my 32 inch TV it had always looked fine! The details (or lack thereof) are not in your face on smaller monitors.

My $.02,

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

SCARFACE

Worst piece of &%[email protected] I've ever seen. Worse than a VHS copy on a tape that's been taped over 5 or 6 times. On top of everything, it cost me $40 cdn.

Can't wait for a new transfer, since it's OOP now.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:
What is the worst DVD PQ you have ever seen. You know the type - terrible grain, artifacts all over the place, color timing off with no detail in the highlights or shadows.
Be careful about classifying grain as a PQ problem. Although occasionally a DVD is transferred from inferior grainy elements, film grain is often deliberately exaggerated by the directors. (e.g. Minority Report, A.I., Pi...) Digital noise, on the other hand, is a problem that is often mistaken for film grain.

-----

If I had to limit my selection to Hollywood A-titles, I would choose "The Quiet Man", starring John Wayne, as the worst transfer I've seen to date. I own the origional release of Ran, the old Spartacus (not the Criterion), and the SE of Aliens. (Is there an older inferior version?) Watching any of them after "The Quiet Man" is like putting a few drops of visine in your eyes! This transfer literally looks like a 3rd generation dub made on a worn-out VHS deck set to extended play. Wierd, VHS-like noise completely overwhelms any detail the film might have had. I cannot imagine how they got the film to look like this other than using an old VHS tape master. It looks like it was projected on a wall of writhing maggots! I only wish grain was visible under all that noise! The color timing is abominable, with some daytime scenes looking like they were shot at night. Colors bleed everywhere. Macroblocking and other digital artifacts may show up, but they'd be drowned in a sea of VHS noise and impossible to distinguish. Oddly enough, I've encountered a couple sources that claim the origional film looked like this. I don't completely discount the possibility, but no other film I've seen ever looked as blurry, and that includes even the very first kinetoscope films by Thomas Edison! (I have a Kino release of some of Edisons films that is razor sharp by comparison.)

This is the treatment an AFI top 100 film gets in a 2003 release! 2003! This is not an older DVD like some of the other ones mentioned so far. The real shame is that the origional film had breathtaking shot-on-location Irish scenery and oscar winning cinematography that are completely obscured by this transfer. This DVD should be eye-candy, not headache inducing trash. Artisan ought to be ashamed of this release! Apparantly they aren't though, because its still on shelves.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Home Alone

the closest to VHS on DVD i've seen. incredible to believe this came from a major hollywood studio. a 10 year old recycled laser disc master rehash i believe. even a bootlegger would be ashamed of the PQ on this coffee coaster.

and since we're rapidly approaching christmas (give or take 8 months), i think this one is long over due for a souped up release for the christmas holidays. one of foxs' most successful films wasn't it ? no worries about it selling well then. i'm sure there was talk a while back ...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would second the vote for PFE Final Countdown as the worst PQ DVD ever made. I saw Enigma the other day and I think it has the worst PQ for a recent movie. Its so bad it must be a mastering error.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have to say Shadow of the Vampire (not counting how crappy the movie is). The movie looks horrible and I dont care if its supposed to look like that or not I think is a disgrace that you buy a new dvd to watch such pathetic image quality. Heck, for a moment I thought that my dvd player has been possed by my old vhs' spirit. I honestly consider that most of the times directors get too carried away with filters, grain, etc and thats not necessary cause a good story will capture your attention and pull you "inside" the enviroment without having to abuse rather than use, image effects to convey any special mood or feeling. Every time a movie tried to "make me feel" something with some image "style" I get completely the opposite effect since it becomes distracting rather than immersive.

Regards

·
Registered
28 Posts
not that it's my choice as the worst dvd transfer, but minority report does have bad edge enhancement. quite noticeable on a 133" screen. i do like spielberg's graininess though.

btw: why did spielberg include that annoying scene where agatha talks about all the lost love in anderton's house, and then screams 'run' when it's too late? that scene is painful.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I have seen Scarface, Aliens, the Die Hards, Minority Report, and Con Air...and the worst is definately HIGHLANDER by Highlandslide! :D

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.