AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its true. Do not have an extensive collection but Attack of the Clones looks very soft and muddy, almost blurry. Have heard this is one of the best, if not the best, DVD transfers out there. Have Gladiator, Fifth Element, Shrek and other great looking DVD's that look phenomenal on my HDTV Philips set and the Philips DVDQ50. Have not calibrated my TV but have used the AVIA and Video Essentials disks so DVD's and HDTV cable look very nice. Could it at all be possible the DVD is bad? It doesn't skip or pause/freeze at any point so I am not really sure what the issue can be. I'm almost tempted to purchase another copy just to see if it displays the same symptoms. Anyone care to take a stab at this?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I dont believe its the best but it is a very good transfer and on my list of "show-off "discs. I would think that trying another SW's DVD might be in order.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yosh70
I dont believe its the best but it is a very good transfer and on my list of "show-off "discs. I would think that trying another SW's DVD might be in order.
I'm with Yosh. I thought it was very good, but that was evaluating picture + sound combo. I'd see about finding another copy to evaluate before returning or exchanging yours. Bear in mind some of the CGI scenes have been softened so they don't look too artificial. Particularly where the they have real + CGI scenes.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Looks very good on my Mits.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sorry - I'm with Alma. And it's not his DVD. True, many parts of this disc look great, but other parts look very blurry and soft. It is a real mixed bag. It's been discussed at lenght before, but it is in many cases the result of George using shots which were framed long as close ups. The resolution of the digital cameras the movie was shot with are too low to get a razor sharp picture in this case. This is all readily apparent in one of the early scenes where Obi, Mace, Jar Jar and others are in Palpatines office. You have cuts between close ups of the human faces (all blurry) to a super-sharp CG Jar Jar, and back to a blurry Obi. It's exacerbated by the fact that in all these cases the human characters are blurry (because that element of the shot was digitally zoomed) but the inserted CG backgrounds are not.

Many scenes, especially the 100% CG ones (like the close up of Yoda's head during the big battle at the end with the digital stormtroopers around him, or the opening scenes) are great demo material, though. I would not go so far as to call it the worst dvd in my collection PQ wise.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cpurvis
Sorry - I'm with Alma. And it's not his DVD. True, many parts of this disc look great, but other parts look very blurry and soft. It is a real mixed bag.
I agree with cpurvis.

This was the general consensus that most people with revealing equipment (ex: HTPC's driving CRT's with 7+ foot wide screens) came to when EP2 first came out.

Looks good at times, at times pretty soft. Will look pretty good however on smaller screen sizes and digital projectors because of the artificial sharpening introduced (not looking for a war here).

The disc does not look bad by any means however - it's just not a 10/10 for sharpness. (Maybe an 8/10?). Definitely acceptable, just not reference.

Kal

·
Registered
670 Posts
Quote:
Sorry - I'm with Alma. And it's not his DVD. True, many parts of this disc look great, but other parts look very blurry and soft. It is a real mixed bag.
That's not the case on my disc. This DVD looks phenonemal all the way through. Simply one of the 3 best DVDs I've ever seen. I only notice some video noise in the background from two dark scenes. Otherwise, stunning clarity, detail, and color, and not a speck of grain, edge-enhancement, or dirt. First of all, I don't believe you think this is the worst. Nobody in their right mind, in my opinion of course, would claim this DVD looks bad. I'll just point you to the reviews. They say it better than me.

You sure do get around alma. This is the second forum you've posted this topic in.:)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have viewed thousands of DVD's. But not on HDTV sets and a Progressive DVD players. I myself only own about 15 DVD's. Subject line should have read "Worst looking DVD movie I own"

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
alma321,

I have no idea what you are talking about. SW2 equals my other reference DVD's, i.e.: Mask of Zorro Superbit, Patriot, Air Force One Superbit, and the restored Metropolis. Your setup may be more sensitive to certain DVD characteristics than others. "Calibration" is not the whole answer relative to consistently showing of every DVD the best it can be. The DVD player's technology, display's technology, and how they both interact have a lot to do with it, also.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cpurvis stated it perfectly with his post. It really stood out when they were in Palpatines office in the beginning of the movie, the softness I mean. Looks like its a toss up, some people agree and some don't. I do have other reference DVD's and they look great. I only have a 30" HDTV set. You would think It would not stand out as much but it does to my eyes. I guess I was just expecting to much, expecially after just purchasing and viewing the Superbit version of The Fifth Element.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
On my 8" CRT with an htpc it is a bit soft in most scenes.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have HD1 DLP projector driven by an HTPC which is wickedly sharp. However, I too find the scenes variable in sharpness and clarity. I particularly agree with CPERVIS whose findings match my own. Overall, it can look great but the sporadic blurriness means that it is not one of the best DVD's for picture quality in my opinion.

Regards,

Paul H

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.