AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
All you have to do is add a Webber Grill to the other side with a minifridge or beer keg below out on the patio - I kind of thought the same thing - who would want to look at that big silver blob in the house concealed? Tailgate wireless set? Sony needs some of our greenlight thinking here. :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Looks fair with the TV is open, but looks terrible closed. I listen to my CD's with my TV turned off, no need to hide the TV for music.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think that device is for talk show hosts like Jay Leno who want the TV to pop up when they are going to show a clip.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Looks more like a kiosk than a TV for home viewing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think we are missing the obvious target market for this device: small rooms. Remember, there are many places in the world that do not have a lot of living space compared to the U.S.: Tokyo, many European cities, New York City. This would be a way of getting a HT system into a very small footprint.

Also, there would be great advantages to raising the speaker off the floor for music listening. Vertical placement of speakers makes a huge difference in sound due to speaker/room boundary interactions.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Another pointless and silly product from Sony but what else is new?

·
Registered
15,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburpan
I think we are missing the obvious target market for this device: small rooms. Remember, there are many places in the world that do not have a lot of living space compared to the U.S.: Tokyo, many European cities, New York City. This would be a way of getting a HT system into a very small footprint.

But the thing is it doesn't actually save any space. It's the same footprint with the screen raised or down. The enclosed screen is just a bit lower - and uglier. Why not have the TV held cleanly at the right height on the pedestal? It would look nicer, less like some baffling chunk of metal, and the foot-print is the same in either case.

Weird product.

·
Registered
350 Posts
^^ Exactly!. So with the TV off, you have a big silver rectangle in your living room. With the TV on, you have a TV on top of a big silver rectangle. Why not just make a clean looking TV?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness
But the thing is it doesn't actually save any space. It's the same footprint with the screen raised or down. The enclosed screen is just a bit lower - and uglier. Why not have the TV held cleanly at the right height on the pedestal? It would look nicer, less like some baffling chunk of metal, and the foot-print is the same in either case.

Weird product.
It's hard to see in the picture, but at the left top side of the sliding speaker screen is a small slot that looks like it would be for a CD or DVD. If this functionality was built into this device, then it would save a lot of space, as you have TV, speakers, receiver, and CD/DVD player all in one unit.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
That was one of my favorites... I like the idea too.

To each their own I guess... :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
when its closed you could use it to flip a giant pancake.

·
Registered
445 Posts
according to the article in the link the tv doesn't raise the piece in front of it does. The tv stays at its current height.

It is kind of a neat idea. Would definitely keep my cats from pawing the screen when the tv is off and I am not watching it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
When I looked at the picture of it I was reminded of those tailgater contraptions you see in the parking lots at the football games where the BBQ grill goes up and down and becomes the cover for the beer chest below it.

I guess you have to be Japanese to appreciate this baby's aesthetics :eek:

These should hit Walmart's clearance table real soon!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.