AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(i am putting this in this forum because the issue is often associated with plasmas and HDTV)

PBS, New York City!

for those in the area, turn to PBS Kids (Ch 241- Comcast) and see 2 giant-sized logos, in each of the top-left and bottom-right corners, uninterrupted during show content. combined, they take up more than 1/4th of the screen.

advertising to kids- nice!

i'm beginning to agree with the TT about CPB- it's tired and lame, and the new republican angle to it all makes it insufferable.

·
Super Moderator
18,527 Posts
While it's not a channel bug, the TV-rating bug TNT-HD puts up at the beginning of "The Closer" is so large, it frightens my pets.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Nothing could be worse than MTV (by which I include MTV2 and VH1). They use animated logos and put color bars across the top of the screen, and text here and there, sometimes right over the middle of the screen.

The interesting thing about this is that MTV was one of the last channels to start using bugs.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon
While it's not a channel bug, the TV-rating bug TNT-HD puts up at the beginning of "The Closer" is so large, it frightens my pets.
Since they show those huge rating bugs after every commercial these days, maybe someone can make a DVR that detects them and skip the ads.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Free over the air channel with worse logo - KTLA (WB)

2 logos on the screen during HD programing and 1 of them is on all the time even during commercials.

Paid cable SD channel with worst logo -Tie : MTV, SCIFI, and any channel by STARZ!

MTV may have been one of the last to adopt using horrid logos but they sure as hell perfected it. I watched a program recently were literally 1/3 of the screen was covered in logos. I also hate it how SCIFI interrupts the end of shows to have advertising for future shows. Stretching the credits is very disrespectful of those who worked on the project and is really f*cking annoying. Starz also does this and sometimes you miss special features during the credits like Bloopers. Lame.

Paid cable HD channel with worst logo - INHD and INHD2

I will never like any logos on channels I "PAY" for, especially during movies. Every now and then I get really excited when I turn to INHD and no logo is present. Unfortunately this is when they are showing previews for there shows. It is truly sad when the viewing experience is better during promos than the actual program itself.

Honorable mention: ComedyCentral

Seems to be getting worse and worse. There logo is already big but they always seem to have things moving in the corner advertising other shows. Really annoying. Those things are forgiven though. SouthPark, Chappelle Show, Daily Show, etc.... make everything better. Also Comedy Central's Secret Stash is truly amazing. I just wish more stations would show programs uncencored. E! would be awesome if they would be like comedy central and offer there late night shows uncencored. Its not like there advertisers are going to run away. It's all phone sex ads, male enhancement pills, and condom commercials on that late.

I hate logos. And if I was as rich as Bill Gates I would buy all the stations just so i could remove all the damn logos.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would love

to have the PBS double bug. Atlanta PBS is no longer broadcasting HD...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I totally agree with TheRock on KTLA (Los Angeles, the WB).

It's absolutely awful, and to top it off... KTLA does everyone a favor of stretching all their 4:3 programming so that it like, half fills the extra width that 16:9 gives. So, it doesn't eliminate black bars (whcih I have no problem with), but it cuts off part of the program at the top and bottom.

And here's a picture of what TheRock is talking about: Linky

---------------

And my other station ID annoyance is with ABC HD. I, sadly, have an LCD with rather large overscanning. It's not an issue with any stations really, all information/logos fit fine on screen (even that local Fox one that is so close to the edge for some reason) but ABC likes to make one that is so far to the right of the screen that it's obnoxious. It only looks sort of fine if your TV displays ever possible pixel with no overscan.

Bah, ABC.

·
Registered
278 Posts
yeah, i was really surprised at how awful the KTLA bugs were; on the wrong side, includes 'DT' in the tag and too big/too far inwards.

there are some fox stations that use fairly large colored logos for their bug which is sad. i have a local pbs station which uses two large self-important colored logos:
http://img240.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kteh5gs.jpg

i'm crossing my fingers for the day when they have the technology to only show the giant station bugs to those people who have the people meters or nielsen logs - the rest of us don't need them. i also wonder if it would be more annoying to get rid of the bugs and replace them with constant in show hints about the channel like tv screens or wall posters, etc

·
Registered
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k
Since they show those huge rating bugs after every commercial these days, maybe someone can make a DVR that detects them and skip the ads.
Wouldn't work -- the ratings bug starts fading in slightly after the commercial break is over.

But it's not needed, because there's already a standard, fairly solid way of detecting where commercials begin and end. It's the black frame. Stations themselves sometimes use it (or did) as a guide.

And yeah, apparently, there are some DVRs that detect them. For two: ReplayTV (in models no longer made), and MythTV (according to a post I just read). MythTV isn't a DVR per se, but free DVR software around which you can build your own.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
MTV2+Comcast is the worst. I am not sure if you would call it a bug its more like a banner ad.

I was watching Headbangers Ball a few months ago and during the video, worse yet over the top of the video about 1/3 of the way down the screen. There was a banner ad scrolling someething like "You can enjoy more indie and hardcore videos 24 hours a day for free On Demand with Comcast MTV2 On Demand just select On Demand with your Comcast remote.

What a bunch of BS! Needless to say that was the last time I watched MTV2

·
Registered
93 Posts
On certain programs here (NYC) such as people's court, dr. phil etc. ,not only do you get the channel 2 and CBS eye logo, but the time and temperature. Let's see, it's 81 degrees should I go out or keep watching? Oh no! it's 4 o'clock already? Over on abc they've sold-out even their own station's promos (during station ID at the top of the hour) with, in a woman's voice and a 4 note jingle, da-do-di-da "time and temperature from Commerce Bank".

·
Registered
608 Posts
SPIKE TV early summer I think? Watching CSI rerun they had normal LOGO bottom right side. On the left side,about 1/16th of the screen they had countdown of some wrestling show coming next. Every minute, maybe every second can't remember it never left the screen.Had to turn it off. Too bad to hadn't seen that one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.