AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a surround sound system.

I am looking at a Yamaha/Infinity pakage.

The Yamaha receiver is 5.1 with 75 watts per channel.

The salesman that I am dealing with sugguested that I upgrade the receiver to a Dennon that is 7.1 and has 110 watts per channel. He told me that the Dennon will also upgrade the all outputs from the receiver in composite quality signal (to the TV).

Do you think that it is worth an additional $600 to upgrade?

The Yamaha is $599 and the Dennon is $1199.

Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Jeff,

It sounds like you are talking about the Denon 3803. Technically, it does not upgrade the signal just by taking an composite or S-video signal in, and feeding to the monitor via component cables. This basically offers more of a convenience feature than anything, requiring less wires to buy and run. However, the 3803 has received good marks for it's video handling capabilities in other areas (beyond my technical understanding). It is also a first rate component, and will allow plenty of room for you to grow into, as far as adding more components and speakers in the future. Sounds like the Yamaha will do you justice for now, but are you thinking of adding more "stuff" within the next couple of years? Also, try to do some direct comparisons between the two receivers, using the same speakers, to see which sounds better for music? for movies? Also, sounds like you've been shopping at Ultimate Electronics. They tried selling me on the same feature with the 3803. Best of luck.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you are right, I was looking at SoundTrack (Ultimate Electronics).

I think for now the 5.1 should be good enough - are there many 7.1 DVD/programs in the market right now?

The salesman told me that the sound quality would be better with the Dennon as it has 110 watts vs 75 watts. I never like to "crank" up the volume too loud so I don't know if the extra wattage would be a benefit.

He played a demo of Bourne Identity with the Yamaha/Infinity system and I was very impressed with the sound.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Right now I think 7.1 is kind of pie in the sky type stuff. I don't think there are a lot of 7.1 DVD's out right as you said. And, if you're not really going to be turning things up, you may not need that extra 35 watts/channel. You may or may not be able to tell the difference between the 2 receivers at basically the same volume level in an a/b switch. If the Yamaha sounded good to you, hell, I'd say go for it, and save yourself 6 bills while you're at it. I auditioned a few Yamahas as well, and liked the sound on them. I think they are great receivers at a great value. The only warning I will throw out is the same as my first post, and that is to consider adding future components to your receiver. Make sure it has enough digitial (coax and optical) inputs/output, video (s-video, compoent, etc.) input/outputs, pre-outs, and all that other good stuff. Carefully consider this is all I ask. I almost fell into with my Elite 45tx. Almost bought the 43tx, but realized that I could use a few extra connections and MCACC of the 45.

One last note about SoundTrack. Make sure you work this guy pretty good. I've had them price out systems for me before, and you can usually get them to move off their listed prices. Also, watch out for their extended service plans. A sales guy tried telling me that I could bring my receiver in for a "tune-up" every year with their service plans. What are they gonna do? Polish the knobs for me? Anyway, let me know if you have any other questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.