Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again everyone,

First, let me say that I've searched the forums, and there are a couple threads that touch on this subject, but no firm consensus!

I've had my TH-42PWD4 (the commercial model) for about a month now, and overall am quite happy. Here's the thing though: I still watch lots of stuff from my Tivo, which is SVIDEO (or composite) only, and as most of you on this forum know, there is a chroma delay bug (not lip sync, that's a different issue).

So, I have to wonder:

1. Would conversion from svideo to vga degrade the signal too much to make it worthwhile?

2. If it is worthwhile, what converter is recommended?

Cheers! --Karl

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
you won't gain anything since the defects have already occured at the tivo in creating the s-video out or, more probably, upstream. stick with the s-video if the source is s-video only.

·
Registered
77 Posts
"you won't gain anything since the defects have already occured at the tivo in creating the s-video out"

Not true, John.

There is a timing error in the svideo circuit. The fix is well documented in this forum. All sets have it and all can be corrected.

But, converting an Svideo signal to RGB will not do you any good as by now you have thrown away half the colour information.

Note the spelling of colour. Here in the UK our TiVos work in RGB - as do our plasmas. And they look better for it.

Rgds

Tony

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
tony: correction noted, thanks.

I wasn't aware of the plasma problem with the s-video input.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Gamble

There is a timing error in the svideo circuit. The fix is well documented in this forum. All sets have it and all can be corrected.

Tony
Is there a thread ID that details HOW this can be corrected?

Thanks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops.

You know, I misunderstood this issue. I was under the impression that the work-around described would move the bug from the composite/svideo circuits to the RGB/VGA circuits. In reality, it moves it back and forth from the svideo to composite.

So, this really isn't a problem for me once I find the information on how to adjust the svideo Y/C delay; it will move the problem to the composite input, which I do not use.

I *know* I saw it posted here somewhere, but can't seem to find it. Does anyone have the link handy? --Karl

42PWD3 PC socket or RGBVS ?
Panasonic 42PWD3 Svideo problem

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.