Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I do a lot of recording with my Replay PVR, and am considering getting an HDTV. A couple of questions:

1. If I go HD, I won't be able to record HD programs on Replay, so I'd wind up recording the analog versions. Given this, is it worth the ~ $600-$700 now for the HD decoder? Does anyone know of any reasonably priced HD PVRs that are coming?

2. Any recommendations on TVs? I've been looking at the Sony 36XBR450, the Toshiba CW34X92, or the Panasonic 34wx50

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
284 Posts
For a "cheap" HDTV I would consider getting the Toshiba 50H81 when it comes out in another week or so.

Buy it online at "Let's Go Digital" and the msrp will be cut in half usually.

------------------

My current entertainment setup:

Panasonic 27" TV, Toshiba SD-3109 DVD Player (connected via S-Video), Aiwa Dolby Pro Logic Mini-Surround System, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PlayStation 2...(and more to come!)

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
Only buy an HDTV STB if you buy one of the new TV's you mention- the Sony seems to be one of the best for 4X3- check out the Tosh if you like 16X9- the Panny is now over a year old design (it has an excellent pic).Consider also keeping your present box to use with the Replay-otherwise you will have to use the HDTV STB in S-video mode only.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You can get an accessDTV card for $400 that will let you record HD off-the-air on your PC at a bit less than 9 GB/hour. If you want to record HD off satellite, that's a whole lot harder - you would need to get a Dish 5000 and HDTV Modulator, which are scarce. With just two real channels of HD on Dish, and with HBO-HD and Showtime-HD repeating their content, recording isn't very valuable for satellite HD. accessDTV's free interface for recording OTA HD is extremely primitive and painful, sort of like the world's worst VCR. accessDTV also has a pay service that makes it more like TiVo/Replay.

For HD-ready TV's, I like the Mitsubishi WT-46807, Philips 60PP9601, and Sampo SME-34WHD5. Look at Costco for great deals.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.