AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what i'm trying to decide: I want to know if anyone here actually uses an HTPC on a normal tv? I'm a college student and have been using a geforce mx with tv-out and outputting to my 27-inch Panasonic tv. Nothing special. But what i'm wondering is whether i will see any differences getting maybe a ATI VE, or LE and running it into a tv. Am i stuck with just adjusting the contrast and setting the resolution at 640x480 or is there much more i can do to get a better picture on such a plain tv? Or at least better then a cheap philips magnavox dvd player? I still plan on building a second system so i can leave it in the living room. I need to be able to output my divx once again but higher quality dvd would be nice too. Thanks for all your help and any other ideas or links would be helpfull.....usb mods for game controllers, fan mods case mods. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Hmm, if I were your shoes I'd just play the movie on your monitor instead and put your face closer to the screen :)

Actually, I'm only half kidding. For some odd reason I didn't get a DVD player for quite a long time. I bought one for my parents, and one for my brother, but I was holding out until I could get one that I'd be satisfied with.

Eventually I took the plunge---added a DVD-ROM to my PC, and bought WinDVD. I watched the Matrix and Santana's Supernatural in on a 19" Trinitron using a Matrox G400.

I couldn't believe how damn good the thing looked, and I was hooked. Let's not forget the Matrix was letterboxed no less! Heck even my cheap Labtec PC speakers sounded great. So I found myself sitting in my home office, much closer to the screen than I would if I were in the living room watching TV.

Eventually I grabbed a Sampo 34" direct-view, and soon it's a D-ILA front projector... oh my...

So frankly, I'd say stick with a cheap DVD player until you're willing to upgrade to a digital TV that can at least handle a progressive scan input. Don't waste your money on something fancy schmantzy until you upgrade your display device.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.