AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed quite a few broken PS3's showing up on Craigslist. Ones that have the notorious 80010516 error and can't read any discs. I was thinking that I could still stream movies to it, and play PSN games on it. This one guy is selling one for $120, it includes a Sixaxis controller and Tom Clancy's End War. I offered the guy $90 for it, but haven't heard back yet. If I could get it for $90, I think it's worth it. I might be able to get rid of End War for $10, and get rid of the Sixaxis for $20, which means it would basically only cost me $60, and if I could put it in another room and just stream to it, and occasionally play some PSN games on it (and demos), why not?

·
Registered
71 Posts
sure, but for $45 you can get a new lazer eye and with some self tooling have full function again.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by big thunder /forum/post/18134148

sure, but for $45 you can get a new lazer eye and with some self tooling have full function again.

Well, I guess that would be even better. But this dude claims that he has opened up the PS3, and tried to fix, it, but it didn't work. Not sure if he actually tried that. He said he tried some of the suggestions on youtube (for fixing the 80010516 error). I'm guessing he didn't try that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremy510 /forum/post/18134121

Partially broken electronics have a way of becoming completely broken electronics.

I know of other people that have bought PS3's that can't play discs, simply to use it for streaming stuff with PS3 Media Server, and they never had any problems with that functionality not working as well. Basically, these PS3's just won't read any discs, but you can still do everything else that a PS3 can do, like play demos from Playstation Store, or play PSN games, or stream stuff to it via PS3 Media Server, or copy movies and music to the hard drive and stuff like that. Just can't play an PS3 games or Blu Ray movies or DVD's or anything like that (via disc). It just comes down to how cheap you can get one of these.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Quote:
Partially broken electronics have a way of becoming completely broken electronics.

with most electronics i would say that is true. but in this case, the ps3 he is looking at only has a broken drive. everything else is separate components, and should work fine.

i would say that 120 is a bit too much to pay for that, as you can get a fully working refurb for about 200. i would say 80 bucks or so would be a good price for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.