AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new HT receiver in the $500 to $1000 range. I have a pair of HK 775 ultrawideband monophonic amps that are in good condition, but haven't used for a few years. I think they are 130 watt amps and I was under the the impression that these were pretty good quality amps, even though they are older.

My question is, should I plan on using these amps and getting a receiver with preamp outs for the fronts?

Will I gain much benefit doing this?

I assume the front speakers are the best place to use them?

Which receiver in this price range will have preamp outs?

Can I just go from the preamp out on the receiver right to the HK775 and then to my speakers, or is something else needed?

I plan on using polk rti70's for the front speaskers, unless I find something else in the next while.

Thanks for any and all opinions....

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
dspangenberg,

Yes, I would certainly plan to use the H/K amps in the mix if they are in good working order.

There are many good receivers in the price range you mentioned. If you have a history with H/K and like the sound I would suggest the new 525. If you don't need 7 channels, then many good deals still remain on the superb 520 (-$600 shipped). Differences in decoding formats aside, if you are not aware of it, the 525 has dropped the Main Amp inputs so it is only a stand-alone receiver. The 520, however, has the Main Amp Inputs so you would have a separate 5 channel amp and preamp/tuner in one.

If you have a sufficient number of speakers, with your two mono's you could run a very nice 7 channel system right away with the 520. Of course, most would still recommend a third mono for the center for equal power across the frontstage in HT.

P.S. You are correct in your assumptions on where and how to hook-up and use the current amps.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Check out my thread on the comparison of sub-$1000 receivers to see the details on several receivers in your price range. All of them have preamp outs.

Clarke is correct that the HK 520 is an interesting option right now. Some are selling it in the low to mid $500's and it has some nice features. I don't think it offers the best option for multi-channel decoder in the sub-$1000 price range, but it does a good job and does offer Logic 7. Undoubtably a very good deal for someone not wanting to spend more than $600.

Tom B.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What receiver out their does have the best preamp section for under $1000.00?

I also am looking for the best pre-amp for under a grand. I had 2 Outlaw Model 950's in my system and absolutely loved the sound, but could not live with the nagging problems. I have used all sub $1000.00 Onkyo receivers out there great receivers processing just not as good as the Outlaw. I have had several Sony ES products I am currently trying the STR-DA4ES again just doesn't have what the Outlaw did. I am seriously considering the HK AVR 325 since for a pre-amp it is exactly the same as the AVR 525 just less expensive.

I need some help?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.