AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I picked up a WD1200BB (7200) at Fry's last night for $159. They only had 2 left and one was a repack, so I figured I'd buy it, knowing I can always return it.

I know a 5400 is all you need and they're often cheaper than the 7200s, but due to scarcity, they seem more expensive online. Is it worth spending EXTRA money for the slower drive?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrKlaatu
... Is it worth spending EXTRA money for the slower drive?
I don't think so. I don't understand this near-obsession from some people that a 5400 rpm is the best/only drive to get. I have 7200 rpm drives in all 3 of my UTVs, and I'm very happy with them. I actually tried to buy the 5400 rpm on my last purchase, but got the "bonus upgrade" to 7200. But I was only doing that to save a buck -- I had absolutely no problem getting a 7200 for the price of a 5400, and using it. -TJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello??

·
Registered
290 Posts
Can Mikey come out and play??

RC I misses you!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TexasJames
I don't think so. I don't understand this near-obsession from some people that a 5400 rpm is the best/only drive to get. TJ
Way to go TJ .... :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrKlaatu I know a 5400 is all you need and they're often cheaper than the 7200s, but due to scarcity, they seem more expensive online. Is it worth spending EXTRA money for the slower drive?
Check your local Circuit City...I just went to mine to get 2 of the 7200 rpm WD drives for $179 each...As advertised on the CC web site...

Too my surprise, they had a boat load of the WD1200ABRTL drives there...Opened them all up and they were indeed the AB drives, not BB drives in AB boxes...

I bought 4 for $129.99 each BEFORE the WD $30 rebate...Great deal...Double the capacity of the 2 7200 rpm drives I went to pick up for only a few dollars more...With tax, after rebate cost is $109...

Beware though...The rebates are one per household...So you'll have to use a few friends to get the rebates if you get more than one drive...:)...I had the clerk ring them up one at a time to get separate receipts...

·
Registered
530 Posts
the 7200 makes a lote more noise than the 5400, and it generates a little more heat. thats the difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.