AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I know very little about surge protectors and power conditioners, but I had a recent power outage this weekend and my PSU on my HTPC went out at the same time coincidentally so it got me thinking.
I never really bought into the power conditioners as my house is relatively newer (built in 2001-2003 area) and I dont think I have dirty power. I thought this was more an older house thing. I don't think I am in a lightning prone area, but I can say the power does go out from time to time and there is a transformer at the end of the block that is known to be problematic.

I am thinking about taking the next step from my cheap/free surge protector strips for more protection, but not sure of the worth of these high dollar units. I could deff use something to auto switch on my Inuke for my subs, which would be another added bonus.

So whats the skinny on these things? Any true worth to spending hundreds of dollars on these with claims of better picture/sound/protection, ect?

·
Registered
662 Posts
So whats the skinny on these things? Any true worth to spending hundreds of dollars on these with claims of better picture/sound/protection, ect?
Check out this article from The Wirecutter, it has quickly become my go-to resource for research before making purchases. This article is a little over a year old but very thorough and transparent. It's well worth a read and they have many more just like it.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-surge-protector/

TLDR: They recommend the APC Surgearrest 3020J

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hello All,
I know very little about surge protectors and power conditioners, but I had a recent power outage this weekend and my PSU on my HTPC went out at the same time coincidentally so it got me thinking.
I never really bought into the power conditioners as my house is relatively newer (built in 2001-2003 area) and I dont think I have dirty power. I thought this was more an older house thing. I don't think I am in a lightning prone area, but I can say the power does go out from time to time and there is a transformer at the end of the block that is known to be problematic.

I am thinking about taking the next step from my cheap/free surge protector strips for more protection, but not sure of the worth of these high dollar units. I could deff use something to auto switch on my Inuke for my subs, which would be another added bonus.

Check out this article from The Wirecutter, it has quickly become my go-to resource for research before making purchases. This article is a little over a year old but very thorough and transparent. It's well worth a read and they have many more just like it.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-surge-protector/

TLDR: They recommend the APC Surgearrest 3020J
For expensive equipment, you can't go wrong with the Surgearrest 3020J.

For more common applications, I just use a Camelsoft CMYE - 450G:

http://www.cablesalesusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1238&products_id=4613

It's comparable to a low-end Belkin, but at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So no positive comments on like the Belkin Pure AV/Panamax/Furman route?
Should I only be looking for surge capability? Or is the ability to bump low voltage worth looking into? (not sure if my sub amp draws alot of current or not)
Is all this stuff overrated?

·
Premium Member
90,390 Posts
I have used a Belkin PureAV PF60 for almost 8 years which has worked well through many power outages. You may also want to consider spending the $200- $300 on a whole house surge protector which an electrician can install ($150 unit/ $150 install) on the outside main power line.

·
Registered
662 Posts
So no positive comments on like the Belkin Pure AV/Panamax/Furman route?
Should I only be looking for surge capability? Or is the ability to bump low voltage worth looking into? (not sure if my sub amp draws alot of current or not)
Is all this stuff overrated?
They look cool.

The way I see it the APC (or something similar that is modestly priced) should be all you need. If you're ever hit with a large power spike you'll want to replace it anyway, and that goes for the more expensive models as well. I think the wirecutter article gives you plenty of good info, they even touch upon how the cheaper models compare to the more expensive ones. I believe they even touch on UPS systems as well (don't quote me on that).

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have used a Belkin PureAV PF60 for almost 8 years which has worked well through many power outages. You may also want to consider spending the $200- $300 on a whole house surge protector which an electrician can install ($150 unit/ $150 install) on the outside main power line.
^
+1. I use the PF60 also and it seems well built and reliable.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think if I go this route, I may get something with AVR also. APC has a cheaper unit and Panamax has a more expensive unit that was rated pretty good. Still on the fence though.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
A good UPS with surge protection is better than just a surge protector. The reason is sometimes the surge isn't the problem, rather it's the quick off/on/off/on that can kill a PSU.

The problem with a UPS is they're big, heavy, and need new batteries every few years.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about the AVR? Would that help in those cases? Or that wouldnt be similar to the UPS since its actual on/off vs dips

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I wouldn't power audio gear off a UPS. Just computer equipment. I use a UPS for the computers, router, switch, NAS, and plasma TV.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't overly care about the ups function. I don't have much a need for my theater equip. I was taking surge and voltage regulation would maybe be worth wild over the cheap strips I run

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have the Furman Elite 15i for many years and i am very satisfied with it. If you invest a few thousands on your ht it makes sense to protect it and invest in a good surge protector and or line conditionner like i have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts