AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I mostly lurk around here and I have learned a lot by reading reviews and other threads on these forums, so thanks to all who unknowingly helped me out!

I have been on a very slow upgrade process of an old home theater system. I bought a new receiver, sub, TV (just ordered), and dvd player (just ordered), and am now looking at speakers.

I love the sound of the NHT Super series, but I wonder if I can do better.

By todays standards, how do the NHT Supers hold up? Is there a viable upgrade to my current speaker set for a budget of under $1500 for all 7 channels?

My current (and past) equipment:

Sharp LC-52LE700UN (replaced 5 year old Sova 32" DS205-S32)

Sharp BDHP22U (replaced Samsung DVD-HD941)

Onkyo TX-SR805 (replaced 10 year old Onkyo 55w/ch 5.1)

Martin Logan Dyanamo (replaced Paradigm PS1000)

L/R - NHT Supertwo

C/Surr/Rear surr - NHT Superone (x5)

·
Registered
885 Posts
I would say no, it would be difficult to obtain a system that sounds significantly 'better' for $1500 then the one you have. The only chance of doing so would be from one of the 'direct' speaker vendors. I would wager that even if you manage to obtain a system that sounds better to you that significant others may not notice a difference. The NHT's are pretty decent.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuGuy /forum/post/16993966

Hi all,

I mostly lurk around here and I have learned a lot by reading reviews and other threads on these forums, so thanks to all who unknowingly helped me out!

I have been on a very slow upgrade process of an old home theater system. I bought a new receiver, sub, TV (just ordered), and dvd player (just ordered), and am now looking at speakers.

I love the sound of the NHT Super series, but I wonder if I can do better.

By todays standards, how do the NHT Supers hold up? Is there a viable upgrade to my current speaker set for a budget of under $1500 for all 7 channels?

My current (and past) equipment:

Sharp LC-52LE700UN (replaced 5 year old Sova 32" DS205-S32)

Sharp BDHP22U (replaced Samsung DVD-HD941)

Onkyo TX-SR805 (replaced 10 year old Onkyo 55w/ch 5.1)

Martin Logan Dyanamo (replaced Paradigm PS1000)

L/R - NHT Supertwo

C/Surr/Rear surr - NHT Superone (x5)

I have not heard the NHT speakers to compare to an upgrade, but half the fun is demoing anyways. One option is to buy used. You can usually get one or two year old speakers for about 30-50% less than retail... sometimes less. Go to your local A/V store and listen to several then start hunting online. A great site is www.audiogon.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies. I agree that demoing new speakers is fun. I was in a couple local shops over the last month or so. Of course fell in love with some $5k/pr speakers........out of MY price range. I didn't think of looking for newer speakers used. I have purchased 2 pairs of my Superones used, so i am not new to the idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts