AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave my parents a Roku HD-XR several years ago. They seem very happy with it to this day. However, I just got a Roku 3 for myself (I've never owned a Roku before, always did my streaming via HTPC) and I'm really impressed with the speed and interface. I can't imagine the old HD-XR is as snappy and I wonder if they even release interface updates for it anymore? So I'm thinking of getting them a Roku 3 as well... I just want to know if it seems worth it to you guys? Yes, they have a functional streamer they are happy with, but I see it kind of like a computer upgrade... the new one is just so much better that you didn't know what you were missing out on. And they could re-purpose the HD-XR is another room. I dunno, just looking for opinions. If it seems like it wouldn't be that much of a difference to them then maybe I'll find another xmas gift. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsherpa  /t/1506518/worth-upgrading-older-roku-hd-xr#post_24093643

I gave my parents a Roku HD-XR several years ago. They seem very happy with it to this day. However, I just got a Roku 3 for myself (I've never owned a Roku before, always did my streaming via HTPC) and I'm really impressed with the speed and interface. I can't imagine the old HD-XR is as snappy and I wonder if they even release interface updates for it anymore? So I'm thinking of getting them a Roku 3 as well... I just want to know if it seems worth it to you guys? Yes, they have a functional streamer they are happy with, but I see it kind of like a computer upgrade... the new one is just so much better that you didn't know what you were missing out on. And they could re-purpose the HD-XR is another room. I dunno, just looking for opinions. If it seems like it wouldn't be that much of a difference to them then maybe I'll find another xmas gift. Thanks!

Yes, definitely. Arguably the Roku 3 is the best stand alone internet streamer available today. I own the Roku 3 (love it) and the WDTV Live and Apple TV 3. Without a doubt it's an upgrade they'll appreciate.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts