AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I have a Sherwood Newcastle R-865. I absolutely love the sound of it. Problem is, I bought it off ebay a number of years ago and it was not as described. A few things wrong, but the biggie is the FL channel makes a weird subtle hiss. When I hook it up to an amp to power the fronts, it's fine. But I only have a junky amp that I've been using that makes a slight humm.

Well, I'm getting some Christmas money (about $400) and was going to either buy a good power amp to get this thing running like it should, or buy the new tech (HDMI with HD decoding receiver). But with such a small budget I'm afraid of going from such a beautiful receiver to some cheapo. Was thinking about the Onkyo TX-SR608 which is $330 on amazon right now.

I know there are a lot of threads debating HD sound and I've read, I just thought my situation was unique since I gotta spend money getting what I have going anyways. I'm on a budget being young with kids living in an expensive city.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
your "beautiful receiver" doesn't work right... how can you "love the sound of it", when you cannot even evaluate the sound of it because of the problems?

the "cheapo" receiver will not only have the benefit of actually WORKING, but (assuming you fixed the other one first), run flat would be indistinguishable from the sherwood...

not only that, the "cheapo" receiver, when not run flat (i.e. using the tools that are provided in a modern avr) will sound BETTER than the sherwood...

there is ZERO doubt that the "cheapo avr" is a better option that an amplifier for the already sketchy and completely outdated sherwood... none...

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your thoughts. However, perhaps you misunderstood my OP. I am able to evaluate the pre-amp stage of this receiver because it works just fine as long as the fronts are connected to a power amp. The amp I'm using I'd like to replace because hums, very quite. Barely audible at the LP without sound going.

I had an onkyo before this for a couple weeks and upgraded to this and it wad night and day the Newcastle sounded better (with an external amp because the internal FL channel amp is flawed). So I am able to evaluate it and I am able to even improve on it with a new amp.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Greetings to a fellow pacific Northwesterner,

I just wanted to give you another perspective. With your current receiver already demonstrating signs of trouble, you may need to consider the possibility of it failing relatively soon. Used equipment can be had for a good deal, but upkeep can be expensive. If you go with the new amp and your receiver fails, you are even further away from your goal of audio perfection. The new receivers do have that new warranty going for them as well.

Personally, I bought a used denon AVR-4802 which I love. The only problem is I have spent a not insignificant amount on analog cables, digital cables, and hdmi switchers. Most of that mess is eliminated with a new receiver.

If you are looking to save additional funds and are not looking forward to the 3D devolution, 2009 models can be had for significant discounts.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXscreen /forum/post/19635249

If you are looking to save additional funds and are not looking forward to the 3D devolution, 2009 models can be had for significant discounts.

big +1 to that.... $1000 avrs from 2009 have been known to go for under the op's budget...

also on the "may fail", as noted by my "sketchy" comment...

op, i didn't misunderstand your post at all...

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
You could also consider the Onkyo HT-RC260 that is virtually identical to the 608 but no THX certification (same amplifier section), no satellite radio input, and no PC input. I purchased a 260 to replace an eight year old THX receiver. Now I no longer have a bunch of optical cables going into a switching box and a bunch of HDMI cables going directly to the TV. Just three HDMI to the receiver and one HDMI to the TV. The primary reason I purchased the new receiver was for the new blu-ray codecs for uncompressed sound. With decent speakers, the sound difference can be dramatic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts