AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum and as an active of other forum communities, I'm sorry in advance if this specific question has been asked recently, but I didn't see much when using the search function.

I have had an HD20 (my first projector) for about two years. It has been the single best piece of tech I've ever bought. It sits on my bedside table about 9 feet from a wall I painted with screen paint and it looks really good. However I just bought an Xbox One and am worried it may have lag when playing games, so I was looking at the latest models (HD26, HD25) but can't really figure out whether its worth $700-800 dollars to upgrade.

From the statistics it seems the newer Optoma models have a significant contrast ratio increase, and lumen output, as well as 3D (nice to have), but since i use this in my dark cave of a bedroom, I'm mostly concerned with refresh rate as concerns 60fps 1080p gaming (think Call of Duty).

From reading amazon reviews and a few threads here it seems that people play their video game systems just fine on the HD20 and that it isn't something I need to upgrade just yet. However if I wanted a significant upgrade in the Optoma family around $1k, what would you recommend? Should I stick with the HD20 until it dies and figure it out then?

Thanks!

:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do not put the Kart before the horse . Connect the XBOX1 and play FPS and see how it performs. I checked DislayLag database for your model .did not see any projectors , Here is a link any way . You can e-mail with questions .
Good point, I'll try and remember to report back, although I don't have much to compare with, but it should be fairly apparent if games are playable or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Low teen and single digit display latency is the realm of PC gaming where you can push games well above and beyond 60 fps.
Also more than likely this console gaming generation will mainly be locked at 30 fps, just like the one before, and so on. However you will have the occasional 60 fps game, such as the halo remaster.

Here is an old but good understanding on the issue and why you have seen many hardware review sites go beyond strictly gauging performance based on the frame rate..
http://techreport.com/review/21516/inside-the-second-a-new-look-at-game-benchmarking

Frame time
in milliseconds & FPS rate

8.3 - 120
10 - 100
16.7 - 60
20 - 50
25 - 40
33 - 30
42 - 24
50 - 20
60 - 17
70 - 14

Many Optoma dlp projectors, mainly around the $1k line, have low input latency. Optoma officially list the GT1080 as

1 - 4 of 4 Posts