AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently own a Mits. 55809 from 2001 that has been an excellent tv, the only service I have done to it besides cleaning has been resodering the conv.board. I have a chance to pick up a 2004 Diamond 65813 model for about $600. I like the idea of a larger screen, built in HD tuner,DVI and 9" guns.The Diamond has also supposedly been calibrated but I have to check into this.Would this be a worthy upgrade? (I have not seen the tv yet). The size of the CRT "box" does not bother me, just looking for the best picture within my budget. Do the 9" guns make a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
7,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotlad /forum/post/18141627

I presently own a Mits. 55809 from 2001 that has been an excellent tv, the only service I have done to it besides cleaning has been resodering the conv.board. I have a chance to pick up a 2004 Diamond 65813 model for about $600. I like the idea of a larger screen, built in HD tuner,DVI and 9" guns.The Diamond has also supposedly been calibrated but I have to check into this.Would this be a worthy upgrade? (I have not seen the tv yet). The size of the CRT "box" does not bother me, just looking for the best picture within my budget. Do the 9" guns make a noticeable difference?

I had the 48413, great display, ended up giving it to my sister. Still works great. But with that said, since it's a 2004 model, it's going to have a lot of hours on it.

I personally wouldn't buy it, but if I did, I wouldn't spend more than $400 on it. If I owned that display, I'd donate it, and write it off.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The 9" guns are required for what are called high scan models since they can actually scan at 1080i therfore providing higher resoltuon content then models with 7" guns from your HD program souce. The internal digital tuner will be a benefit if you are plan on getting any or all of your HD program content from an antenna or from clear QAM cable from your local broadcasters

I am not a fan of big box HDTVs so won't make a reccomendation either way.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have the same TV and believe its the best consumer CRT television ever available on the market.

That model does have a problem on the DM board with caps blowing up. But is an easy fix for someone with a little amount of tech skill.

Note that there is no HDMI connection but does have a DVI connection however it is not a full digital path. It is converted to analog RGB.

Being the owner and a fan of that model TV and for many years I enjoyed of the soft focus of a CRT picture, I would say for only a few hundred $$ more to just get the WD65737. The bandwidth available on the new DLP TVs is far superiour and the blacks are pretty darn decent.

Theres alot of things to consider in getting that TV. Such as if you have to move to a new house or apt, that thing is crazy heavy and huge. New DLP is light and thin.

Convergence and geometry problems.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipnotiq /forum/post/18149079

I have the same TV and believe its the best consumer CRT television ever available on the market.

That model does have a problem on the DM board with caps blowing up. But is an easy fix for someone with a little amount of tech skill.

Note that there is no HDMI connection but does have a DVI connection however it is not a full digital path. It is converted to analog RGB.

Being the owner and a fan of that model TV and for many years I enjoyed of the soft focus of a CRT picture, I would say for only a few hundred $$ more to just get the WD65737. The bandwidth available on the new DLP TVs is far superiour and the blacks are pretty darn decent.

Theres alot of things to consider in getting that TV. Such as if you have to move to a new house or apt, that thing is crazy heavy and huge. New DLP is light and thin.

Convergence and geometry problems.

Even though I said I wouldn't buy it, I'll comment.

The DVI input of that display is just like any other, but since it's a CRT, obviously it's converted to analog. That's a given.

And while convergence is an issue, it can be fixed. Geometry is actually better with CRTs, as that can be fixed also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hipnotiq, you mention soft focus of CRTs,is there really that much difference in sharpness of picture between a new DLP and an older high end CRT ? Is this what they refer to as "film like" with CRTs? You also mention superior bandwidth with DLPs what does that do for the picture? Since the DVI is converted to analog can I use a Blu-Ray player to upconvert DVD using a HDMI to DVI cable? Sorry about all the questions I am going through the learning curve. Thanks to all the responders I have gotten a lot of info. from this site.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you can pick up that tv for a song then get it! I own a 73711. 9" guns is where it's at! They can almost resolve the full 1920 lines of resolution. 7" can't. That's why some folks say soft focus. But 9" CRT on a 65" screen with the smooth film like image they produce is the ****! I have a pro730hd and my friend had the tv your considering. Go get it

·
Registered
471 Posts
I can only speak of my old Sony 65" crt compared to my Samsung 72" dlp, but...

I got the service manual for my Sony and did every trick an tweak to it except for lining inside with dark cloth.

Sony, despite near perfect convergence (convergence drifts) and tweaked focus on the guns, didn't look at as sharp as the DLP . The detail just wasn't as good. I have watched a lot of stuff and even my HDV movies look way more detailed on the dlp set. I played a checker board pattern and the geometry on the dlp set is perfect.

What did I lose? DLP has that shimmer look- never had that problem with the Sony. Blacks were much better on the Sony. It usually isn't a problem, but when watching the Olympic skating, the black outfits worn by the skaters were just totally crushed.

Color rendition? I think they were both about equal. To summarize, DLP has better detail, but has shimmer in the screen. CRT has better blacks, but less detail.

·
Registered
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotlad /forum/post/18141627

The 9" guns will give you and tighter/smaller beam spot and greater light output. Since removing the screen on that model is very easy to do, I would ask the owner to inspect the face of the CRT's to check for phosphor burn. if they look good and the set functions properly i would buy it. That model also came with an anti-reflective not anti-glare shield, which depending on your room conditions, you may choose to leave on to further increase contrast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.