AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So I recently watched Hobbit Desolation of Smaug and Prometheus, and decided that I really need to upgrade my subwoofer to get deeper lows.

Dragon scene in hobbit, and just the intro in Prometheus both got my sub to sound terrible.

I have a Premier Acoustics PA-120 now and I've been poring over the forum and was settling on a SVS PB12 Plus.

I have a medium sized living room, about 35ft by 25ft.

But after doing research and poring over the forums for a weeks, I've gone down the rabbithole and started at looking at speakers also.

Right now, I have JBL LS830 bookshelfs as my mains and matching JBL for center. (forgot model).

Always like the sound of these speakers, but never really compared them to anything.

Using ORBs for 7.1 surrounds, basically due to aesthetics.

So, I was looking at getting the RTi8's and csi5 center because of the great deals on ebay store.

but then due to budget, match with a HSU VTF 3 MK4.

Everything is connected to a Denon avr -1712 receiver.

I'm pretty sure I'd love either of the subs, but would do you think I'd notice a big difference in the mid and highs with the RTi8 Floor speakers as compared to the bookshelves?

Cant really find comparisons between the 2 as they're so different.

Basically, is it even an upgrade to switch to the budget Rti8's? Especially with a really strong sub?

Really, thanks for the time at looking at this and any help super appreciated..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just read emptek e5bi speaker review, comparing them favorably against jbl floorstanding speakers.

Just confuses me more.. and just losing more sleep.

Floorstanding? Bookshelf? Which way to go?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
First of all, 35x25 is not a medium size room, assuming 8 foot ceilings, that is 7000 cubic feet that a sub needs to pressurize. I don't think the speakers you are considering will offer an upgrade over your current speakers, more of a lateral move in my opinion. What I would recommend is just spending the $1500 on a pair of subs. In such a big room, multiple subs will give you a more even bass response, a little extra output, and more headroom.

Right now the HSU VTF-3 MK4 is on sale, and you can get a pair shipped for $1538. In my opinion this would be the best course of action, and really make a meaningful upgrade to your bass. Also, good subs can really improve the sound of speakers, so you will probably find everything more enjoyable with this upgrade. That PA-120 is really under powered for such a large space.

Reactions: Kini62

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Agree with trans...

1. Your room is HUGE!

2. For 1500 dollars, you won't get a speaker and sub upgrade. Upgrade one or the other now and then when funds allow...

·
Registered
6,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses191  /t/1524452/worth-upgrading#post_24538839

Thanks transmaniacon,

With 2 subs, would each be set at a lower output than one?

In a not so huge room, probably. In yours you will need to see what Audyssey sets their levels to.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
How many feet from your speakers is your listening position. The room is huge and the sub have to pressurize the entire area...but your main speakers only have to produce db from their position to your ears.

I would recommend the two sub approach as well, then upgrade your speakers later. Perhaps the AA CMT340s would be good (as suggested), or something with two 5.5 or 6.5 inch drivers. And yes, they aren't the best looking kids on the block, but there sure aren't as butt ugly as those Pioneers you were thinking about...Okay, it is a tossup, neither is going to be named prom queen/king!

·
Registered
6,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses191  /t/1524452/worth-upgrading#post_24542016

So you guys recommend 2 of the vtf3's which would get me more even bass than 1 pb12 plus?

Yeah I would lean towards dual subs, or if there is ever a chance you would add a second PB12 Plus, then getting one now is an option.

I think dual Power Sound Audio XV15s would be my number one choice there, but that is a little over budget.

·
Registered
10,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses191  /t/1524452/worth-upgrading#post_24542016

So you guys recommend 2 of the vtf3's which would get me more even bass than 1 pb12 plus?

Yes.

If possible maybe up your budget and get a pair of VTF-15s or PSA XV15s. Maybe take a look at Reaction Audio's new BPS215. A pair of them should provide you with the most output (at least above 20hz or so) you're going to get for around $1500.

http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/dual-bps-215-powered-subwoofers-shipping-starting-mid-february

No review yet, but the design seems solid.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the recommendations. will look into those tonight. yeah a 2nd pb12 plus probably wouldn't happen for a very long time..

Also for near future reference, if the rti8's or pioneers are more of a lateral move, when wanting to upgrade to floorstanders, as suggested I should be looking at speakers similar to the AA's?

Basically "something with two 5.5 or 6.5 inch drivers" ? - (Elihawk)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.