AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worth the upgrade or just wait. I have an Onkyo 7.1 HTIB, I want to upgrade to a quality system (7.2 for under $3k for speakers). Found these Polks on newegg.com for an amazing price should I go for it or just wait and by better quality like Paradigm or Def Tech? I would like to only upgrade speakers one time (what i buy i'd like to keep til it dies).

Polk System paired with Onkyo 807 - 7.2 135 watts X 7

Total Power - 3,345 Watts RMS Continuous/5,745 Watts Peak Dynamic - Frequency Response - 22 Hz-25 kHz - $1,709.93 (newegg.com)

Front L/R - Monitor 70 - 90dB - $229.99 X 2

Center - CS 2 - 90dB - $129.99 X 1

Surrounds - Monitor 30 - 89dB - $109.99/pair X 2

Subwoofer - DSW microPRO 1,000 - [email protected] Hz - 1,200 Watts RMS Continuous/2,400 Watts Peak Dynamic - $449.99 X 2

Onkyo 807 $789.99 from newegg.com

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
speakers do not have "power", they are passive devices and the rating on them is the maximum power they can accept. Your 3,345 watts RMS is a misunderstanding....only the Onkyo NR807 has "power" and even it's 135 watts per channel is for 2 channels driven (outdated FTC guidelines for power ratings), when all seven are powered the overall power output per channel goes down. Why ? The built in 120v power supply can only supply so much current to the amplifiers.

All that said, your Polk Monitor series speakers a decent speakers for the money, but if you are going to limit your speaker budget, you probably are spending too much on your receiver and sub. Does the NR807 have features you cannot live without...that the SR607/707 models do not have ???

I will admit I know nothing about the Polk DSW microPro subwoofer, but I am always highly skeptical about small highly inefficient long throw 8" subwoofer speakers driven by outrageous power plate amps. This is the sub class pioneered by Sunfire, and many folks like the results....others do not.

Have you considered powered subwoofers from HSU Research, Elemental Designs, or SVS ?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/18152291

speakers do not have "power", they are passive devices and the rating on them is the maximum power they can accept. Your 3,345 watts RMS is a misunderstanding....only the Onkyo NR807 has "power" and even it's 135 watts per channel is for 2 channels driven (outdated FTC guidelines for power ratings), when all seven are powered the overall power output per channel goes down. Why ? The built in 120v power supply can only supply so much current to the amplifiers.

I realize that, those specs were there mainly for me. I was basically compairing the total watts using those subs verses subs of much lower watts.

As for the receiver, I would like it to have THX certification and the different THX modes and correction devices. So that leaves out the 606, the 706 is only 100 Watts/channel w/ 2 channels driven. The receiver I have now is 110 watts so I was looking to also upgrade in power as well thats why I was going to go with the 807.

My $3k budget includes 7 speakers and 2 subs, I can't go over that. My wife said I need to do everything for under $6k and i want a new receiver, 1080p front projector and a 110 to 120" fixed (picture frame) screen.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The best way to find out is to go audition Polk and other brands to find out if you can tell the difference. If you can't tell a difference from Polk to other brands....why waste the money? If you can tell the difference....save your money and buy other higher end brand.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
If you like the sound of Polks then that is a decent 7.0 system.

Get subs from one of the ID companies, way better than what is on your list (even if you only got one).

Also, on the receiver the 110 to 130 watts is negligible. Don't get hung up on those numbers.

·
Registered
348 Posts
flickhtguru, I just sent you a pm.

The monitor 70's are on sale with a promo code, but I wasn't sure if I could post that on here or not.

With the additional savings, throw some more money at your subs and go Internet Direct. You won't regret it!

Look at HSU, Elemental Designs, Epic, SVS, etc..

Edit:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96662

There's a promo code for the monitor 40's as well.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have already auditioned polks and klipsch in best buy but I know I need to go to a hi end speaker dealer with the proper room and set up for auditioning. I will also check out some of the ID sub companies. I know Hsu is very good.

How much power do you recommend i look for in a receiver? I am not planning on getting any amps just the receiver.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru /forum/post/18153359

I have already auditioned polks and klipsch in best buy but I know I need to go to a hi end speaker dealer with the proper room and set up for auditioning. I will also check out some of the ID sub companies. I know Hsu is very good.

How much power do you recommend i look for in a receiver? I am not planning on getting any amps just the receiver.

If you've heard Polks and like them, buy them as they are a good deal. If you go doing too much auditioning you will hear things you like better, but can't afford. If that happens, a quality 5.1 will sound better than a compromised 7.2, any-day of the week.

For subs eD, SVS, HSU, Epik, Outlaw, Tweak City Audio (soon, not yet) and my favourite Rythmik (the best choice if you want music and HT). Lots of threads in the subwoofer area discussing various budgets.

If you are budgeting $800 for an AVR then anything on sale from Onkyo/Denon/Marantz/Yamaha/Pioneer will have plenty of power. If worried you'll want more, then get something with pre-outs so you could get an amp in the future (I doubt you will need it - I went from a HTIB to a Yamaha 1800 based system - WOW).

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru /forum/post/18153359

With $3k you can do much better especially for music. Check out Paradigm, PSB, Monitor Audio, Wharfedale, Energy RC-70's, etc. If music is important I highly recommend doing as much listening as possible with your own music.

·
Registered
872 Posts
For music it's worth spending a little more time and/or money. Speakers can easily last 20+ years so what's looks like a good deal based on price often ends up being not the best choice for SQ (sound quality).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.