AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sized sealed and what sized vented for strictly movies would be best for a 13k? I was thinking about doing 2 of them in separate enclosures. One on each side of the room. I would think two of them will best a sealed 19ov.2 but not sure. what is your opinion?

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I don't think so, the 19ov.2 has more and sd and xmax, not to mention it is a whole different level of quality. I would use two PAIRS of the 13k's to best the single 19ov.2, they don't need to much room, you could do 2.5 cubes for each pair in a sealed cabinet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
how big do you want to go. im looking at a pair of 13kv.2 in 10 cuft, tuned to 21Hz... it models nicely... but it is a big enclosure.

~mike

·
Registered
956 Posts
My vote is for the 19ov.2., actually a pair would be really nice.

Edit : MY WHOOPS. I misunderstood the driver in question. I thought we were talking about the 13av.2, not the kv!! I'll let my comments on the 13av.2 here anyhow.

I never understood the fascination people have with the 13av.2

It has what, 83dB of sensitivity? 7dB less than the 19ov.2? Talk about needing a ton of power just to keep up. Guess where the extra power goes? No thanks.

And its about the ugliest driver I've ever seen. Might as well glue a lego on the cone. (or the flag of a small Caribbean island)

Sorry... I've held my thoughts in too long, I feel better now!

Dr V

·
Registered
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinculum /forum/post/14195664

I never understood the fascination people have with the 13av.2

It has what, 83dB of sensitivity? 7dB less than the 19ov.2? Talk about needing a ton of power just to keep up. Guess where the extra power goes? No thanks.

And its about the ugliest driver I've ever seen. Might as well glue a lego on the cone. (or the flag of a small Caribbean island)

Sorry... I've held my thoughts in too long, I feel better now!

Lol! Tell us what you really think of the driver, V.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Seems to be a decent driver in many regards, it is uses the underhung topology to great success. The build quality sure looks like its there, 60lbs of driver on a 13" basket with dual 10" spiders, this thing should compete with the new Ultra 13 driver than SVS is now using. I can't wait to test one of them, they are supposed to be a low distortion driver, even if the output isn't there, if the low distortion is, then its a great driver.

·
Registered
956 Posts
RE: 13av.2 ;

I suppose it has its place in the tiny box catagory. Its just a shame you need 5x the power to get the same SPL out of it compared to most larger drivers. 500 watts to 2500 watts is a huge difference. I highly doubt if you dropped this driver in a powered PB13 cabinet it would compete with the SVS driver. This is only speculation on my part. The manufacturer specs might not even be correct as far as anyone knows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts