AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Build a subwoofer capable of taking on any of SVS's commerical subwoofers? (Ok, maybe not any of them
but most)

After doing a bit of homework, ive ruled out Sonotube designs (Too much of a visual obstruction, unless someone can convince me the performance gains, if any, are worth it) so im going with the typical box. As for sealed or ported/Radiator, im not sure. Ive heard ported designs give out higher SPL levels than sealed enclosures, but that sealed is more punchy, dynamic/tight etc. A friend of mine with a DIY ported box had port noise problems randomely begin one day, so that kind of put me off towards ported designs.

The subs going into a 30x25x12 room, btw, and will be used 50% gaming 50% music 10% Movies (Yes, thats 110%)

So what driver/s, amp/s, etc would you reccomend given my $700 budget (This includes building materials)

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Hmm..that is quite a large room.

As long as you have a good design and built it properly, port noise problems won't just pop up one day.

I'd go with a high excursion 15-18" and as much power as you can afford.

·
Registered
375 Posts

Quote:
A friend of mine with a DIY ported box had port noise problems randomely begin one day, so that kind of put me off towards ported designs.

Yeah, that's usually not a problem if designed right. Perhaps it started happening once the driver broke in?

Like Willd said, a high excursion 15-18" would be good, and I would think about doubling it up and get 2 drivers. That would probably put you over budget if you consider amps, though...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anything specific yall would reccomend?

I was looking at the Dayton 15'' Titanic driver, but ive heard multiple people say its one note-ish, which I hate.

ive also looked at some of the TC drivers, but damn there expensive..

And yea, its a massive room. Ive been thinking I might have to increase my budget or bust. Another option ive considered due to budget limitations is too switch the HT with a different room, which would reduce the size down too 20x15x10. Perhaps I wouldnt need such a monster then..the new room could also be used as a dedicated HT instead of serving other purposes besides HT like the current one does.

·
Registered
30 Posts
rlj5242 on this board has said he got great results using Vega V-max subs. You should send him a pm to get some more info. You could get 2 15's for around $250. These drivers have around 18mm of xmax and are said to model well.

Also, a couple Dayton hifi 15's or tempests might work well.

EDIT:

You could also check out the Stereo Integrity MAG 15. There is one for sale on ebay. They have a great rep in the car audio. Around 27 mm xmax with great SQ.

Later

Seth

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGC /forum/post/0

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1&page=1&pp=30

Perhaps I could do something similar to whats shown here? Ofcourse, without such a crap box

Hey, hey, why diss the great design??

Dual Fi car audio SSD-18 ~$480

Behringer EP2500 ~$270

Total ~$750

I say make an low-tuned EBS. When you control the Q on a ported box you can make it sound as 'tight' as you want. As a warning, the box will be large.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts

Quote:

What exactly is a EBS type enclosure?

Oh, and crazyflipside, what kinda of results DID you get with those 4 18's, considering there ridiculously low price and pretty low xmax?

It's a large, ported enclosure.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

Quote:

Extended Bass Shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1tman /forum/post/0

rlj5242 on this board has said he got great results using Vega V-max subs. You should send him a pm to get some more info. You could get 2 15's for around $250. These drivers have around 18mm of xmax and are said to model well.

These are the older models with the red/pink surround and chrome cone. Flashy but with an xmax of 20mm and Fs around 18hz they are pretty good. I wish I had picked up a few more when Ubid had them for $85 each. The Qts is a little high though. They will probably end up as an IB sub in my office. The 12" v-max models even better. It's the only model I haven't tried though. I used the 10" models in my car for a while with great results.

You can also pick up the ED 13kv.2 (12") sub for $75 each until Feb. 1. Four or six of these and a Behringer EP2500 will move some air.

-Robert

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackyflipside /forum/post/0

Hey, hey, why diss the great design??

Dual Fi car audio SSD-18 ~$480

Behringer EP2500 ~$270

Total ~$750

I say make an low-tuned EBS.

He'd want Scott to customize the SSD's, cause as is, they want a huge box.

Scott can do this easily though.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

Quote:

Oh, and crazyflipside, what kinda of results DID you get with those 4 18's, considering there ridiculously low price and pretty low xmax?

Well, I was easily getting peaks of 125db from 12' [3.6m] away so output is not really an issue. What is limited is real subsonic material

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In a well made enclosure, do you think 4 (Or hell, 5, there just so god damn inexpensive o_o) Mach 18's, with a good amp, etc, could push down into the say, 10-15 Hertz range at decent volume?

Also, I know next to nothing about wiring multiple woofers together, etc, so that will eventually have to be explained

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

Quote:

In a well made enclosure, do you think 4 (Or hell, 5, there just so god damn inexpensive o_o) Mach 18's, with a good amp, etc, could push down into the say, 10-15 Hertz range at decent volume?

Also, I know next to nothing about wiring multiple woofers together, etc, so that will eventually have to be explained

Well two of the SSD18s have more output capability than four mach5 subs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My room is a little bigger then his....and I just have 1 Q15 and EP1500 and the damn thing put out some nice deep smooth bass. I'll go with one custom Q18 and the EP2500 and you will have money to buy stuff to build the box or sonotube. Just my $.02

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.